A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11, Telford. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1985.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
John Poole (or Pole) and Henry Bynnell were schoolmasters in the late 17th century (fn. 1) and Richard Poyner from 1702. (fn. 2) Elizabeth Bullock (d. 1681) and Jane Schofield (d. 1705) kept schools in their houses. A 'schoolhouse' at Allscott was mentioned in 1732. (fn. 3) By 1799 the parish had a Sunday school and a day school 'by subscription' and by 1818 two well conducted schools for c. 63 cottagers' children, poor pupils' fees being paid by richer neighbours. (fn. 5)
The Cludde family built and supported separate boys' and girls' schools on their property; (fn. 6) both were closely associated with the church and by 1852 were designated C.E. schools. (fn. 7) As early as 1849 they had certificated teachers and were earning government grants; by 1883 they were earning drawing grants. Exceptionally for small rural schools, they regularly trained pupil teachers, even from 1851, and usually received good reports. (fn. 8)
The girls' school with 40 pupils was founded in 1823. (fn. 9) It had 60 pupils in 1851 and was supported by Anna Maria Cludde. (fn. 10) It was held in an old cottage until temporarily accommodated in the boys' school in 1852. (fn. 11) The following year a new St. Peter's Girls' School (with 100 places in schoolroom and classroom) and a new teacher's house were built opposite the church at Miss Cludde's expense. She, from 1854 as Mrs. R. C. Herbert (d. 1906), and her mother (d. 1859) were managers and they defrayed the school's expenses, amounting in 1853 to £45 including the mistress's salary of £35. (fn. 12) In 1885 an infant department (60 places) was added but by 1900 girls' and infant departments had amalgamated. Attendance averaged 89 in 1891 and 97 in 1913. (fn. 13) From 1931 girls aged 12-14 attended Wellington cookery centre. (fn. 14) There were 90 places and 73 pupils (including 14 infant boys) in 1935. (fn. 15) Smethwick evacuees attended 1939-44. (fn. 16) In 1940 it became a junior mixed and infant school with 93 pupils: seniors transferred to Wellington Senior Council School and boys came from the closed C.E. Boys' School. (fn. 17) The school became controlled in 1949 and was immediately improved. In 1950 there were 115 pupils in three classes. (fn. 18) Numbers were higher in the 1970s (fn. 19) owing to housing development at Admaston, and by 1981 two demountable classrooms had been added and the teacher's house was being used as an extension; by then, however, there were only 114 pupils. (fn. 20)
Wrockwardine Boys' School, with 103 places, was built in 1837 at Mrs. Edward Cludde's expense; (fn. 21) her husband provided the site. (fn. 22) Income in 1848 consisted of £32 17s. 6d. in subscriptions and collections, £24 11s. in fees. Mrs. Cludde supported the school generously; the master, whose salary was then £45, had a cottage of hers rent-free. (fn. 23) By 1856 a teacher's house had been built. (fn. 24) In 1878 the efficient master was well paid for his school of 65 pupils: he received £75 a year, the government grant, and a third of the school pence. (fn. 25) There were 75 pupils in 1851 and attendance averaged 78 in 1891 and 63 in 1913. (fn. 26) A twice weekly night school in 1877 had ten pupils. (fn. 27) The school closed in 1940, seniors transferring to Wellington Senior Council School and juniors to the former girls' and infant school. (fn. 28)
In the 1850s there were three boarding schools: a boys' school at Admaston (still open in 1879) and girls' schools at Admaston and Wrockwardine. (fn. 29) In 1870 there was a private girls' school at Allscott (fn. 30) and in 1885 another at Admaston. (fn. 31) From 1891 to c. 1905 the Colonial Training Home for Girls at Leaton Grange prepared destitute girls for domestic service in the colonies. (fn. 32) The Royal National Institute for the Blind ran a Sunshine Home for retarded blind babies at Overley Hall from 1950 to 1980. (fn. 33) In 1981 Overley Hall School opened as a private boarding school for mentally and physically handicapped pupils aged 5-19 years. (fn. 34)