A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
29. THE HOSPITAL OF BRUTON
Nothing appears to be known of this hospital beyond the fact of its existence. In 1417 (fn. 1) Richard Bruton, canon of Wells, left 6s. 8d. to the 'spytelhouse' at Bruton, and a similar sum was bequeathed to the hospital of Bruton by Richard Grene in 1496. (fn. 2) It further benefited to the extent of 3s. 4d. under the will of John Brent in 1524. (fn. 3)