A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
33. THE HOSPITAL OF TAUNTON
The master and leprous brethren of Taunton received royal protection in 1236, (fn. 1) which was also granted to 'the brethren of St. Margaret's without Taunton' in 1278 (fn. 2) and again under the title of the hospital of the Holy Ghost and St. Margaret, in 1334. (fn. 3) Canon Richard Bruton in 1417 (fn. 4) left 20s. to the 'spytelhouse' of Taunton, which is called a lazar-house in the will of Elizabeth Speke in 1537. (fn. 5) It survived the changes at the Reformation, as in 1552 (fn. 6) Thomas Brocke left 6s. 8d. 'to the poor in the spittell house at Taunton,' and it has continued to the present time as an almshouse.