A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
36. ALMSHOUSE OF YEOVIL
An almshouse or hospital was founded by royal licence at Yeovil in 1477 by John Woburn and Richard Huett as executors of William Woburn, minor canon of St. Paul's. The deed of foundation sets forth that it was to be for the support of six poor men and six poor women under the control of a master and two wardens, who were to be elected annually from seven or five honest men of Yeovil nominated by the outgoing master and wardens. The poor inmates were required to wear on their breasts a red cross in honour of St. George, who was joint patron with St. Christopher of the almshouse, and were to say daily one psalter of the Blessed Virgin, kneeling if their health would permit; on festivals they were to say the same psalter two or three times in succession, either standing, sitting or kneeling. Other prayers were ordered on special occasions for the souls of the founders and other persons, and the master and wardens were desired to form a fraternity of the parishioners of Yeovil and other persons willing to contribute to the support of the almshouse. (fn. 1) This institution, which was often remembered in the wills of local testators, survived the Reformation and still supports the original number of poor men and women.