A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
27. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. KATHERINE, BEDMINSTER
This hospital was founded by Robert de Berkeley, who died in 1219, for a master and several brethren who should tend the sick and infirm and the needy traveller. It stood on the west side of the street near the bridge called Brightlow Bridge, and nothing remains of the buildings except a portion of the east wall of the chapel where there is a blocked-up Gothic window. William de Worcester in his travels measured the chapel as 49 ft. long and 21 ft. broad, and the chancel as 27 ft. by 16 ft. (fn. 1)
On 5 October 1331 (fn. 2) the master of the hospital was pardoned for obtaining from Alexander de Alneto lands at Ashton without licence.
On the institution of John Worthy, priest, as warden, 21 April 1414 (fn. 3) it was stated that the hospital was not a religious foundation, and that the warden had with him at times four, three or two priests as companions, who wore the garments of secular priests with the badge of a St. Catherine wheel on the left breast. The rents then did not exceed £24 yearly, and there was a pension due from them to the rector of Bedminster of 6s. 8d., and two wax lights had to be offered yearly on the Feast of St. John the Baptist.
In the Valor of 1535 the revenues are valued at £21 15s. 8d. and Richard Walgrave is entered as the warden and master. (fn. 4) The hospital escaped the dissolution of the monasteries.
In the Survey of 1548 (fn. 5) the net rental was estimated at £21 10s., there was a silver chalice weighing 8½ oz., there was 100 lb. of bell metal, and the ornaments were valued at 4s. 6d. William Clerke is stated to be the master on the king's patent, but the commissioners had not then seen the patent. No poor people were maintained or relieved except that Mr. Clerke assigned them cottages belonging to the hospital for poor men to dwell in, and 'other relief they have none but as God sendeth.' No foundation deeds were shown, but the priest was bound to say mass thrice a week.
In the rentals of the hospital we find that Richard Hall held the site and demesne lands, Alice Sparrow 2 acres at Lukemoor, John Coke 1 acre at Wademore, 1 in Boenmede and 1 at Rodmede. Divers persons held lands and tenements at Bedminster, Ashton, and Berkeley, and a certain tenement in the city of Bristol. There were three cottages called almshouses, which brought in no rent because they were occupied by paupers.
Masters of Bedminster Hospital
John de Babcary, appointed 1325 (fn. 6)
Richard de Borefordescote, appointed 1327 (fn. 7)
Richard atte Pondfolke, exchanged 1332 (fn. 8)
John Randolph of Coleshill, appointed 1332 (fn. 9)
John de Malmesbury, appointed 1338 (fn. 10)
John de Eggworth, appointed December 1348 (fn. 11)
William de Foston, appointed April 1349 (fn. 12)
John de Kymersden, or Kynemerton, appointed 1353 (fn. 15)
John Worthy, appointed April 1414 (fn. 18)
John Dyer, appointed November, 1414 (fn. 19)
John Coriscomb, 1420 (fn. 20)
Thomas or John Fulford, D.D. (fn. 21)
Henry Abendon, appointed 1464 (fn. 24)
Thomas Collyer or Cosin, appointed 1497 (fn. 25)
John Lloyd or Floyd, appointed 1513 (fn. 26)
Richard Walgrave, appointed 1523 (fn. 27)
William Clerke, appointed 1543 (fn. 28)
John Aungel (fn. 29)
James Bond, B.D., appointed 1568 (fn. 30)
John Bridgwater, appointed 1570 (fn. 31)
Edward Mowcroft, 1572 (fn. 32)
Francis Nevill, appointed 1573 (fn. 33)
The Hospital of St. Katherine had a vesicashaped seal, (fn. 34) 2¼ in. by 1½ in., with a representation of the patron saint crowned and standing in a niche, holding the sword and the wheel of her martyrdom. The legend is:—
SIGILL' HOSPITALIS S[ANCTE] KATHERINE VILLE BRISTO . . .