A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1676 a man was licensed to teach in the parish. (fn. 1) There was a day school in 1819 where 19 pupils were taught at parish expense. (fn. 2) In 1825 there was a Sunday school but no day school was recorded. (fn. 3) Ten years later there was a day school with 12 children taught at their parents' expense. (fn. 4) In 1847 the village school, on the site of the former church house purchased by the rector in 1839, was supported by subscriptions and had 40 pupils on weekdays and a further 10 boys who attended on Sundays only. In 1850 the Sunday school taught 60 children and had a clothing club to which women might also belong. (fn. 5) The school, affiliated to the National Society, was supported by donations and a voluntary school rate from 1873. (fn. 6) In 1873 the parish agreed to pay the rector a rent. (fn. 7) The school was rebuilt on an adjoining site to the north-west in 1891 when there were 48 children at the day school and 41 at the Sunday school. In 1903 there were 40 children on the books with one teacher. (fn. 8) Numbers fell to 19 in 1925, 11 in 1945, and 6 in 1954 when the school was closed. The children were transferred to Cannington. (fn. 9) The school, south-west of the church, became the village hall and remained in use in 1988.