BHO

Stockland Bristol: Education

Page 131

A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

EDUCATION.

A schoolhouse was recorded in 1787 and 1788. (fn. 1) In 1819 a school for 10 children was supported by the vicar and parents. The children were educated until the age of 10 when parents were in need of their labour. (fn. 2) In 1825 the children were said to be educated in Otterhampton at the expense of the vicar. (fn. 3) He was paying for the education of 9 out of 18 children at a day school in Stockland in 1835; the rest were paid for by their parents. A Sunday school, begun in 1829, had 27 pupils in 1835, and was supported by the vicar, the lords of the manor, and a parishioner. (fn. 4) A church school existed between 1861 and 1872 but in 1873 a request was made for children from the parish to have a room at Combwich school. (fn. 5) A new school was built at Stockland in 1880 and had 54 children on the books in 1903. (fn. 6) Numbers fell to 25 in 1925, to 17 in 1935, and to 4 in 1941 when the school closed. (fn. 7) The building was later used by the Stockland sports club, which bought it in 1950 and was in possession in 1988. (fn. 8)

Footnotes

  • 1. Bristol R.O. 2067 (16)F.
  • 2. Educ. of Poor Digest, p. 798.
  • 3. Ann. Rep. B. & W. Dioc. Assoc. S. P. C. K. (1825-6), 43.
  • 4. Educ. Enq. Abstract, pp. 822-3.
  • 5. P.O. Dir. Som. (1861); Morris & Co. Dir. Som. (1872); S.R.O., D/P/stoc. b 18/7/1.
  • 6. S.R.O., C/E 4/380/377.
  • 7. Ibid. 4/64.
  • 8. Ibid. DD/DHR 43.