A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
John Blake of Plainsfield by will dated 1722 gave money to the poor, which was probably what was described in 1786 as a rent charge of 10s. given by an unknown donor; it had been lost by 1826. (fn. 1) Thomas Rich, by will dated 1715, gave a £1 rent charge to the poor. James Rich, by will dated 1813, gave £500 and Thomas Landsey, by will of 1801, gave half the interest on £100 to the poor. (fn. 2) Part of James Rich's bequest to the Sunday school was later converted into the Over Stowey Coal and Clothing club. The bequests of Thomas and James Rich and Thomas Landsey to the poor were united under a scheme of 1932 as the Parochial Charities. (fn. 3)
The Mary Stanley Sick Poor Fund, begun c. 1920, was used in 1981 to provide gifts for those in hospital. (fn. 4)