A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
There was no school in 1819 but by 1825 there was a day school for 26 children. (fn. 1) In 1835 it had 20 pupils, with a teacher paid by the Hamilton family. A Sunday school was attended by 18 children. (fn. 2) In 1846 a National day school had 20 pupils and a further 10 attended on Sundays. (fn. 3) A new schoolroom was built in 1849 and in 1903 there were 55 children on the books. (fn. 4) Numbers declined to 22 in 1932 when the school was closed and the children transferred to Kingston. (fn. 5) The building, near the church, was sold in 1957 for use as a village hall. (fn. 6)