A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
There was no school in the parish in 1835, but in 1840 a Sunday school was occasionally held in the church. (fn. 1) In 1857 a regular Sunday school was attended by 13 boys and 7 girls. (fn. 2) A room was built in 1868 for the vestry and Sunday school by J. Smith, the mayor of Bridgwater. (fn. 3) By 1883 Chilton's children attended the day school at Wembdon. (fn. 4) The school room continued to be used by the Sunday school until 1963 (fn. 5) or later, and was standing in 1987.