BHO

Wembdon: Charities for the poor

Page 334

A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

CHARITY FOR THE POOR.

Sir Bartholomew Michell (d. 1616) (fn. 1) by will gave £40 to the poor. By 1714 the capital sum had increased to £50 and a further £10 was added to buy land at Chilton Marsh. In 1786 the annual income was £5 1s. In 1714 the charity distributed clothing. (fn. 2) In 1958 the income from investments was £13 16s. 4d. and was distributed to 29 recipients; (fn. 3) in 1988 the income was between £40 and £50, shared between 6 or 8 people. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

  • 1. Above, Durleigh, manors (E. Chilton).
  • 2. Char. Don. pp. 1068-9; 15th Rep. Com. Char. pp. 459-60.
  • 3. C. Rayner-Smith, Wembdon and its Ch. (1959), 28.
  • 4. Inf. from the vicar.