A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
In 1629 several people were presented for withholding legacies to the parish including Ursula Boldey's gift of £5 to the poor. (fn. 1) Further gifts totalling £40 were made to the poor by Sir John Malet (d. c. 1685) and the Revd. John Taylor (d. 1737). (fn. 2) Malet's charity was used to provide tools. The Boldey, Malet, and Taylor charities were amalgamated in 1959. (fn. 3) Florence Baber, by will of 1713, gave £100 for apprenticing poor children. In 1867 the income was distributed to labourers but in the later 20th century it was used to help young people to earn their own living. (fn. 4) Anne Bourne (d. c. 1730) gave a rent charge of £2 10s. to poor widows, paid out of land at Gothelney, but the rent charge was redeemed c. 1966. (fn. 5) All the charities were active in 1989. (fn. 6)