A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The parish formed a single tithing by the 16th century but Bonson, with land in Cannington, formed a separate division for land tax purposes. (fn. 1) Tithingmen were chosen in the 17th century according to a rota of ten holdings. (fn. 2) Court records for Bonson manor survive for 1540-1, 1552, and 1611, (fn. 3) and rolls survive for Fiddington manor for 1647-8. Courts continued to be held at Fiddington twice a year until the mid 18th century or later. (fn. 4)
During the earlier 19th century watchmen were appointed and constables were elected. (fn. 5) The overseers gave relief in cash and in kind in the later 17th century. In 1684 they repaired what had probably been the church house for which they paid rent to Fiddington manor in 1702 and in the 1740s. (fn. 6) In 1839 it was sold to the rector Henry Rawlings and became the site of the school. (fn. 7)
Fiddington became part of Bridgwater poorlaw union in 1836, Bridgwater rural district in 1894, and Sedgemoor district in 1974. (fn. 8)