A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A burgage in North Petherton belonged to the serjeanty of Pignes in 1251-2. (fn. 1) North Petherton borough, which was separately represented neither at the eyres of 1225 and 1242-3 (fn. 2) nor at the law hundreds of the 1430s, (fn. 3) yielded profits to the lord of North Petherton hundred and manor, nearly £5 in 1297-8, nearly £6 in 1311-12, and £5 9s. 4d. in 1391-2. The profits came mostly from rents, but also from a borough court or portmote. (fn. 4) The lordship of the borough, linked with the tithing of Denizen in 1569 (fn. 5) and yielding rents of £3 1s. in 1647, (fn. 6) descended with the hundred and manor until 1832 or later. (fn. 7)