Taunton and Taunton Dean Hundred (part)

Page 233

A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 7, Bruton, Horethorne and Norton Ferris Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1999.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



Taunton and Taunton Dean hundred, belonging to the bishops of Winchester and located principally in the west of the county, comprised the parishes of Angersleigh, West Bagborough, Bradford on Tone, Cheddon Fitzpaine, Combe Florey, Corfe, Cothelstone, Heathfield, Hillfarrance, Bishop's Hull, Kingston (St. Mary), Lydeard St. Lawrence, Norton Fitzwarren, Nynehead, Oake, Orchard Portman, Otterford, Pitminster, Rimpton, Ruishton, Staplegrove, Stoke St. Mary, Taunton (St. James's and St. Mary's), Tolland, Trull, Wilton, and Withiel Florey. (fn. 1) The history of the hundred is at present deferred but the history of Rimpton is given below because until the earlier 18th century it was considered to be part of Horethorne hundred (fn. 2) and because of its remoteness from the remainder of Taunton hundred.


  • 1. S.R.S. iii. 328-9.
  • 2. The Subsidy of 1334, ed. R. E. Glasscock, 269; S.R.S. xx. 188; Som. Protestation Returns, ed. Howard and Stoate, 227.