A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1970.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
23. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY, CANNOCK
By 1220 there was a hospital at Cannock dedicated to St. Mary and comprising a prior and brethren. In that year they were granted the right to bring into cultivation up to 15 acres of heath in Broomhill (in Cannock) and 'Fernifurlong' and to hold them until the king came of age. (fn. 1) The hospital in fact retained the land after Henry III came of age in 1227: in 1230 the prior owed 2s. a year to the Crown for 12 acres of heath in Cannock. (fn. 2) This annual sum was still owed to the Crown in 1242 but was then 12 years in arrears. (fn. 3) The rent remained permanently in arrears after 1230, (fn. 4) a fact which suggests that the hospital ceased to exist soon after that date.