A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1963.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The practice of the Jewish religion in the Potteries seems to have been concentrated in Hanley. A congregation was formed there in 1873 (fn. 1) and by 1876 there was a small synagogue (fn. 2) identified in 1880 as being in Hanover Street. (fn. 3) This continued in use until at least 1916. (fn. 4) By 1924 the Synagogue was in Birch Terrace, (fn. 5) and this was still in use in 1958. (fn. 6) A second synagogue in Glass Street was registered in 1897, the congregation declaring themselves to be Orthodox Hebrew. (fn. 7) Nothing further is known directly of this group although Huntbach writing shortly before 1910 stated that the Jews 'had not always been able to agree to worship in one synagogue and at present have two weak causes'. (fn. 8) The burial ground in Stoke, on the Stone road close to the boundary with Newcastle, was in existence by the end of the 19th century. (fn. 9)