A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1963.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This volume, the fourth in the Staffordshire series to appear, is, like its predecessors, Volumes IV and V, the outcome of a partnership between the University of London and a group of Local Authorities in Staffordshire. For some explanation of the nature of that partnership the reader is referred to the Editorial Note prefixed to Volume IV, published in 1958. The partnership has continued unaltered since that time, and the University of London takes pleasure in renewing its gratitude to the Staffordshire Local Authorities for their friendly co-operation. This gratitude is more specially due because the Authorities have meanwhile generously increased the scale of their grants.
Until early in 1961 the local editorial arrangements remained the same as they were in 1958, except that in 1960 Mrs. Barbara Young (née Donaldson) resigned her post on marriage. In 1961 Mr. M. W. Greenslade, then assistant local editor, was promoted local editor and Mr. J. G. Jenkins was given the title of associate local editor with a responsibility confined to the unpublished general volumes. At the same time Mr. D. A. Johnson was appointed assistant local editor. A second assistant local editor, Miss A. J. Kettle, was appointed in 1962. Mr. Jenkins retired at the end of 1962.
The present volume has greatly benefited from the generous assistance given by a large number of people. Among these particular mention should be made of Mr. G. J. V. Bemrose (formerly Curator of the Stoke-on-Trent Museum and Art Gallery) and his staff; Mr. H. Dibden (Chief Education Officer of Stoke-on-Trent) and his staff; Mr. N. Emery (Horace Barks Reference Librarian at the Stoke-on-Trent Central Library); Mr. M. B. S. Exham (Lichfield Diocesan Registrar); Mr. R. G. Haggar; Mr. J. G. Hall (Education Officer of Newcastle-under-Lyme) and his staff; Mr. D. G. P. Harnaman and Mr. P. J. Bemrose (successively curators of the Newcastle-under-Lyme Museum and Art Gallery); Mr. C. J. Morton (Town Clerk of Newcastle-under-Lyme); Mr. S. O. Stewart (Librarian of the University of Keele); and Mr. F. B. Stitt (Librarian of the William Salt Library, Stafford, and County Archivist) and his staff.