A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Branston was a tithing in Burton manor by the late 13th century, and in the 14th century it sent four frankpledges to the twice-yearly view. The tithing had two frankpledges in the later 16th century, and they were still chosen at the view in 1640, although responsibility for village matters had probably passed by that date to parish officers: constables for Branston made presentments at the view in 1621. (fn. 1) In 1324 the reeve who managed the grange farm was chosen by the vill of Branston, possibly an indication that the local community was then responsible for the grange. (fn. 2)
A pinner was chosen at the manor court in 1630. The office was probably continued, but is not recorded again until the late 1780s. The pinfold mentioned at that date probably stood at the south end of Branston green next to the turnpike gate, its site in 1823. (fn. 3)
There was a vestry by 1774, and a poor-rate levied that year was presumably administered by an overseer of the poor. (fn. 4) What was called the 'Town House' in 1759, standing in the angle of the turnpike road and the Tatenhill road south of the village, was probably a poor house. (fn. 5) Branston became part of Burton poor-law union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 6)