A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
An estate called Wetmore, covering the whole of Horninglow township, was allegedly acquired by Burton abbey from King Aethelred in 1012. Although the charter which records the grant is spurious, it gives the estate as assessed for tax on 11/2 hide (mansem) and notes that the abbot had given £70 for it, a statement reiterated in the abbey's annals. (fn. 5) The abbey certainly held Wetmore by 1066, and in 1086 the manor was assessed at 11/2 hide with its appendages, which presumably included the settlement at Horninglow. (fn. 6) The same assessment was recorded in the early 12th century for 'the land of the men' held 'in defence', meaning land which was taxable by the Crown. (fn. 7)
Known as Horninglow by 1255, (fn. 8) the estate became a tithing in Burton manor, and after the dissolution of the abbey and then of Burton college it passed as part of Burton manor to the Paget family. (fn. 9)
WYGGESTON HOSPITAL ESTATE
In 1521 William Wigston of Leicester, a merchant of the staple at Calais, acquired land in Horninglow as part of an endowment for a hospital he had founded in Leicester, now called Wyggeston Hospital. (fn. 10)