A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 942 King Edmund granted an estate at Stretton to Wulfsige the Black, possibly an ancestor of Wulfric Spot, the founder of Burton abbey. (fn. 15) The abbey held the manor in 1066 and in 1086, when it was assessed for tax on 1 1/2 hide. (fn. 16) The same assessment was recorded in the early 12th century for 'the land of the men' held 'in defence', meaning land which was taxable by the Crown. (fn. 17)
Stretton became a tithing in Burton manor, and after the dissolution of the abbey and then of Burton college it passed as part of that manor to the Paget family. (fn. 18)