A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Stretton was a tithing in Burton manor by the late 13th century, and in the 14th century it sent four frankpledges to the twice-yearly view. In the later 16th century there were only two frankpledges, and they were still chosen at the view in 1640, although responsibility for village matters had probably passed by that date to parish officers. (fn. 5) There was a pinfold for Stretton in 1574. (fn. 6)
Stretton had its own constable in 1609. (fn. 7) By the early 19th century there was a vestry, which met to approve the accounts of parish officers, including two overseers of the poor. (fn. 8) The township became part of Burton poor-law union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 9)