A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Manor Horninglow was a tithing in Burton manor by the late 13th century, and in the 14th century it sent four frankpledges to the twice-yearly view. There were only two frankpledges in the later 16th century but three by 1583. They were still chosen at the view in 1640, although responsibility for village matters had probably passed by that date to parish officers. (fn. 7) The pinfold recorded in 1852 probably stood in the angle of Tutbury Road and Kitling Greaves Lane, its site in the early 1880s. (fn. 1)
Parish The parish officers in the late 17th century comprised two constables (one from 1707), an over- seer of the poor, and a surveyor of the highways. In 1753 the township appointed two men for a 12-year period at 1 guinea each to do the work of the elected officers, and that arrangement was evidently still in force in 1796. (fn. 2) By the later 1750s the accounts were approved by a vestry. (fn. 3) The township became part of Burton poor-law union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 4)
A 'prison house' (presumably a lock-up) recorded in 1852 apparently stood in Horninglow Road North. (fn. 5)
After Outwoods civil parish was created in 1894, the rest of Horninglow continued to exist as its own civil parish until it was incorporated into Burton-upon- Trent civil parish in 1904. (fn. 6)