A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Winshill was included in Wulfric Spot's endowment of Burton abbey 1002 x 1004, (fn. 10) and in 1086 the abbey's manor there was assessed for tax on 2 carucates. (fn. 11) The same assessment was recorded in the early 12th century for 'the land of the men' held 'in defence', meaning land which was taxable by the Crown. (fn. 12)
Winshill became a tithing in Burton manor, and after the dissolution of the abbey and then of Burton college it passed as part of that manor to the Paget family. (fn. 1)