A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
49. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. PETRONILLA, BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Near to the hospital of St. John, or 'Domus Dei,' out of the south gate, stood the hospital of St. Petronilla, or St. Parnel, for leprous persons. (fn. 1) It is ignored both by Dugdale and Tanner, but was clearly a separate foundation apart from the Domus Dei, and founded by one of the early abbots.
Edward Steward was the master in 1535, when the clear annual value was declared to be £10 17s. 1½d. The income was derived from temporalities in Bury, Whepstead, and Rushbrooke, and from a portion of the rectory of Mildenhall. £4 11s. 8d., apparently apart from the just cited income, was paid to the poor of the house of St. Petronilla. (fn. 2)
The hospital is referred to in various documents as to land transfers of Henry VIII, Edward VI, and Elizabeth, wherein it is diversely described as the hospital of St. Petronilla, St. Peternelda, St. Pernell, and St. Parnell. (fn. 3)