A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
75. THE HOSPITAL OF GREAT THURLOW
The origin or date of foundation of the small hospital of St. James, which was subordinate to the foreign hospital of Hautpays or De Alto Passu, is not known. Being an alien house, it came into the hands of the crown in the fourteenth century. The church of Thurlow Magna, which was appropriated to the hospital as early as the taxation of 1291, was returned as of the annual value of £10 13s. 4d. (fn. 1)
In 1312, grant for life under privy seal was made to John Menhyr, king's clerk, of the custody of the hospital of St. James, Thurlow; later, however, in the same year the life custody of this hospital was transferred to Thomas Miltecombe; and yet again to John Beauchamp, alias John de Holt. (fn. 2)
In May, 1385, Robert Dovorr, king's clerk, obtained life wardenship of this hospital. (fn. 3) In the following month, a royal mandate was issued for the arrest of persons collecting alms in divers churches and other places, on behalf of Thurlow Hospital, without warrant of Robert Dovorr, the warden, and appropriating the same to their own use. (fn. 4)
Edward IV, in 1463, included the hospital or free chapel of St. James, Great Thurlow, in the numerous endowments of 'Goddishous' College, Cambridge. (fn. 5)