A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF WOKING
|EAST HORSLEY||SEND AND RIPLEY||WOKING|
|WEST HORSLEY||STOKE JUXTA GUILDFORD||WORPLESDON (fn. 1)|
The places given in Woking Hundred at the time of the great Survey differ somewhat from the above list. In Domesday Book, Ockley and Lodesorde (which has been identified with Lodsworth in Sussex), find a place in the list, while Worplesdon, with its members of Wyke and Burgham, is classed in Wotton; (fn. 2) but the difference is probably only due to an error in transcription. In the time of the Confessor the hundred was worth £88 10s., and by 1086 its assessment had risen to £125 10s.; the actual payment, however, in some cases exceeded the assessment. (fn. 3) The sum contributed by the hundred to a 14th-century aid amounted to £45 16s. 6½d. (fn. 4) This did not include Guildford borough, which paid £15 2s. 9½d. In 1636 the taxable value of the hundred was £297 2s. 8d. (fn. 5)
The Hundred Court was held at Harmeshatch, (fn. 6) later called Harmesheath, near the borders of Ockham and Cobham parishes, on the verge of the hundred, as in the case of the court of Blackheath, q.v.