A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF WALLINGTON
By the Domesday Survey the hundred of Wallington included Addington, Chaldon, Coulsdon, Croydon, Sanderstead, Woodmansterne, Beddington, Carshalton, Cheam, Mitcham, Morden and Sutton, (fn. 1) all which places appear as parishes in this hundred in 1831. (fn. 2) Ashtead, Fetcham and Mickleham are also entered under Wallington Hundred in the Survey, (fn. 3) presumably by a mistake; probably the heading 'in Copthorne Hundred' has dropped out before the first of these consecutive entries. Cuddington and part of Chessington are ascribed to it, (fn. 4) perhaps by a further error; Chessington was in Copthorne in 1610. (fn. 5) The only certain instance of a change of boundary is that concerned with Banstead, whose assignment to Wallington in the Domesday Survey (fn. 6) is borne out by the Assize Rolls (fn. 7) and other evidence. (fn. 8) This parish was transferred to Copthorne Hundred between 1610 (fn. 9) and 1831. A court roll of the reign of Richard II (fn. 10) shows the townships of Sanderstead, Addington, Waddon, Woodmansterne, Beddington, Bandon, Wallington, Carshalton, Mitcham and Morden doing suit at the hundred court. Probably the other townships in the hundred were exempt on account of liberties enjoyed by their lords. Wallington was a royal hundred, (fn. 11) and under Edward I it rendered 40s. a year to the sheriff. (fn. 12) Its custody was granted in 1617, with that of Brixton and on the same terms, to John Champion and William Wencham, gentlemen, to hold for twenty-one years. (fn. 13) In 1651 it was surveyed with Brixton Hundred as a late royal possession. Its court leet, held annually at Mitcham, and its other arrangements were then shared with Brixton. Common fines were paid to the combined hundreds by the township or hamlet of Addington and the townships or tithings of Sanderstead, Wallington, (fn. 14) Beddington, East Mitcham, Ravensbury, (fn. 15) Wickford, (fn. 16) Carshalton and Morden. They amounted to 63s. 7d. (fn. 17)