A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
38. THE HOSPITAL OF RUMBOLDSWYKE, CHICHESTER
There seems to have been a small lazar-house outside the south gate of Chichester in the suburb of Rumboldswyke, as William de Kainesham, early in the thirteenth century, gave money to 'the lepers of Wikes' amongst other Chichester charities. (fn. 1) It was possibly the same as the 'hospital of Newykestrete' mentioned in 1374 in the will of John de Bishopstone, chancellor of Chichester. (fn. 2)