A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
40. THE HOSPITAL OF HARTING
Henry Hoese, or Hussey, founded a hospital for lepers, under the patronage of St. John the Baptist at Harting, early in the reign of Henry II. Agnes, wife of Hugh de Gundevile, gave 4 acres in Upton in East Harting to these lepers, (fn. 1) and Henry II, some time before 1162, granted them a fair on St. John's Day, and its eve and morrow. (fn. 2) Nothing more appears to be known of this lazar-house until about 1248, when it was bought from the master of the order of St. Lazarus by the abbot of Dureford, and absorbed into the estate of that abbey. (fn. 3)