A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
48. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. KATHERINE, SHOREHAM
This hospital is only known for its occurrence in mediaeval wills. Thus Margaret Covert left 2s. to the poor of the hospital of St. Katherine of Shoreham in 1366, (fn. 1) and John Borle, rector of West Tarring, left 6s. 8d. to 'the house of St. Katherine by Shoreham' in 1373. (fn. 2) It would seem to have survived the religious changes of the Reformation by abandoning its patroness, and becoming 'the hospital of Our Saviour Jesus Christ,' if we may judge from the prominence given to St. Katherine's emblem on the sixteenth-century seal, by which alone the existence of this hospital of the Saviour is known. If this conjecture is correct the reconstituted hospital was no doubt 'the spytyll at Shoreham' to which Henry Marshall, vicar of Wilmington, left 20 pence in 1550. (fn. 3)
The seal just referred to is a pointed oval: Our Lord on the cross on a mount between two trees of peculiar form. In base, a Catherine wheel. (fn. 4) Legend:—