A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
53. THE HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY CROSS, WINCHELSEA
This hospital was originally founded in Old Winchelsea some time before 1252, in which year protection was granted to the brethren thereof. (fn. 1) When the old town was destroyed by the sea in 1287 and rebuilt by King Edward 'the house of the Holy Cross' was established in the thirty-ninth 'quarter' near the New Gate. (fn. 2) The original endowment was 1 acre of land, but this was subsequently increased to 6½ acres. (fn. 3) Protection was granted to the master and brethren in 1314, (fn. 4) and in 1427 Henry VI ratified the estate of Simon Morley in the 'hospital or free chapel' of Holy Cross. (fn. 5) It is possible that this was the 'church of the lepers of Winchelsea' mentioned in 1287. (fn. 6)
Masters of the Hospital of The Holy Cross, Winchelsea
Thomas Mille, appointed 1411 (fn. 7)
Simon Morley, occurs 1427 (fn. 8)
Henry Medwall, died 1501 (fn. 9)
Robert Wrothe, appointed 1501 (fn. 10)
The early thirteenth-century seal is circular, and bears a cross with enlarged ends somewhat resembling the heraldic cross pattee. In the field, the first word of the legend:— (fn. 11)