A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
55. THE HOSPITAL OF WINDHAM
The Bollandist life of St. Richard mentions that he founded a hospital for sick and infirm clergy. This institution was the hospital of St. Edmund at Windham, and was probably founded not long before his death, as in his will (fn. 1) St. Richard leaves ' to the house of Wyndeham 30 marks, exclusive of the debt in which I am bound to them,' which suggests that the endowment was still incomplete. This is borne out by the series of grants made during the episcopate of his successor, Bishop John, who was considered co-founder of the hospital. (fn. 2) Simon de Bosco of Albourne sold to the bishop, 'for the support of the infirm chaplains and clerks dwelling in the hospital of Wyndham,' lands in Albourne parish, and other lands there were purchased for the same purpose from Philip Cordwaner with the consent of Nigel de Brok, lord of the fee. Sir Roger de la Hyde remitted to 'the chapel of the Blessed Edmund the Confessor and to the priests and ministers there' all his claim to the estate of Windham, and Bishop John himself in 1262 assigned an annual rent of 20s. from the church of Ford to the support of the chaplains.
Protection for the term of ten years was granted to the hospital of St. Mary and St. Edmund of Windham in 1258, (fn. 3) and in 1289 one Ralph atte Hese of Portslade, 'a brother of the house of priests at Windham,' fell off the bridge of 'Blaxinton' and was drowned; (fn. 4) but beyond these two incidents the house seems to have fulfilled its useful purpose in uneventful quiet, gradually falling into decay, until Bishop Sherborn suppressed it about 1520, taking the revenues and lands to endow a new prebend in the cathedral. (fn. 5)
Wardens of the Hospital of Windham
Walter, occurs 1306 (fn. 6)
John de Teddington, occurs 1342 (fn. 7)
John Lucas, appointed 1387 (fn. 8)
John Candelsby, resigned 1414 (fn. 9)
William Gyllyng, appointed 1414 (fn. 10)
William Gloucestre, resigned 1504 (fn. 11)
Edmund Wilkynson, appointed 1504 (fn. 12)
Hugh Rolf, last master (fn. 13)