A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
32. THE HOSPITAL OF BATTLE
'The house of the pilgrims which is called the hospital' is mentioned as adjoining the gate of the abbey in the survey of the vill of Battle made about 1076. (fn. 1) This hospital, which thus appears to have been, originally at least, a kind of casual ward attached to the abbey, occurs from time to time in rentals as a landmark, and in 1345 we find one Alan Payn accused of breaking into 'the buildings of the hospital of the blessed Thomas the Martyr in the vill of Battle,' and stealing a silver chalice and other goods. (fn. 2) But, possibly because of its complete dependence upon the abbey, we learn nothing of its history or constitution.