A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
46. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. LEONARD, SEAFORD
A house for lepers was founded outside Seaford by Roger de Fraxineto, who occurs elsewhere (fn. 1) in 1147 as the king's constable,' who gave 10 acres of land for the purpose, and caused a chapel to be consecrated by Bishop Hilary, and subsequently in 1172 made a further grant of 7 acres of land. (fn. 2) A further endowment was a rent of 40s. charged upon the manor of Beddingham at least as early as 1190, (fn. 3) and still paid in 1278, (fn. 4) if not later. In 1368 the archbishop of Canterbury granted an indulgence to all who assisted the brethren and sisters of the hospital of St. Leonard of Seaford, which had been ruined by the incursions of the sea, (fn. 5) but it may be doubted whether the hospital ever recovered, as no later mention of it appears to be known.