A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
31. THE HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY, ARUNDEL
Richard, earl of Arundel, who died in 1376, had intended to found a hospital or almshouse in connexion with the college whose foundation he was contemplating. Both these schemes were carried out by his successor, who, after establishing the college, obtained royal licence in 1395 to alienate to the master and chaplains of the same 4 messuages and 3 tofts in Arundel for a hospital or Maison Dieu, in honour of the Holy Trinity. (fn. 1) The inmates were to be twenty poor men, aged or infirm, of good life, and able to repeat the Lord's Prayer, Salutation, and Creed in Latin, preference being given to the servants or tenants of the patron. Over them was to be a resident priest as master and chaplain, who should have the assistance of a prior elected by inmates from among themselves. Idleness was discouraged, the inmates being set to such tasks as the care of the garden, the weeding of the churchyard walks, or the nursing of their sick brethren. Regulations for divine service were also laid down, and it was ordained that the brethren should wear a brown woollen garment like that of a monk, with a hood; this, with shoes and socks, being given to each at Christmas. In the case of an inmate developing leprosy he was to be removed from the hospital and to be allowed one penny a day during the continuance of his illness. (fn. 2)
The revenues of the hospital amounted in 1407 to just over £50, but under the will of Thomas, earl of Arundel, in 1415 the house benefited largely, its income standing in 1437 at £101 13s. 10¼d., (fn. 3) at about which figure it remained for a century, being about £94 in 1546, in which year it was suppressed. (fn. 4)
Masters Of The Maison Dieu, (fn. 5) Arundel
Henry Rede, surrendered 1546 (fn. 6)
The circular seal of the hospital shows the Trinity in a canopied niche, with tabernacle work at sides. (fn. 7) Legend:—