A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1935.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
St. James's Hospital.
The early history of this hospital has already been traced. (fn. 1) In about 1687 there was one almswoman only, 'but she a miserable idiot.' (fn. 2) The hospital was still in use in 1704–5, but the chapel had long been disused as such and had later been converted into a barn, and was then in decay. (fn. 3) The mastership was later used to augment the stipend of one of the vicars-choral. In 1825 it was proposed to transfer the hospital property to the Chichester infirmary, but the plan was abandoned, as such a proceeding could not be adopted without sanction of parliament. The charity is now regulated by a scheme of the High Court of Chancery dated 5 May 1855, and varied by schemes of the Charity Commissioners dated 28 February 1890 and 1 January 1909. The trustees consist of the lord bishop, the mayor and the archdeacon of Chichester (ex officio) and three persons residing in or carrying on business in Chichester. The endowment of the charity now consists of £4,035 5s. 5d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock, and £600 8s. 6d. like stock (set aside for repairs and improvements) and several lands and hereditaments, the whole producing approximately £172 per annum. The net income is paid to the Royal West Sussex Hospital, one-fourth being applied to the chaplaincy fund.
St. Mary's Hospital.
The early history of this hospital has also been given. (fn. 4) The endowment (fn. 5) of the charity now consists of several acres of lands and hereditaments and £800 2½ per cent. Annuities, £15,591 12s. 9d. India 3 per cent. Stock, £12,306 4s. 11d. 5 per cent. War Stock, £669 14s. 7d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock, £207 0s. 10d. 3½ per cent. Conversion Stock and £719 5s. 2d. 5 per cent. War Stock, the whole producing approximately £2,635 per annum.
Sedgewick's legacy was founded by will in or about the year 1785, and it appears that the income on £726 3 per cent. Consols was applied for the general purposes of St. Mary's Hospital. The endowment of the charity now consists of £531 6s. 3d. India 3 per cent. Stock producing in dividends £15 18s. 8d.
Painblanc's or Painblame's legacy.
The origin of this charity is not known, but it appears that the income on £711 18s. 10d. 3 per cent. Consols was applied for the general purposes of the above hospital. The endowment of the charity now consists of £694 14s. 9d. India 3 per cent. Stock producing in dividends £20 16s. 8d. per annum. St. Mary's Hospital and the subsidiary charities of Sedgewick and Painblanc are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 4 November 1898 which constitutes the Dean and Chapter of the cathedral church of Chichester trustees thereof and the net income is applied in payment of stipends of and providing Christmas dinners for six foundation almspeople, nine non-foundation almspeople and fifty-nine pensioners.
John Hardham, by his will (fn. 6) dated 6 February 1772, gave the interest on a sum of £15,500 3 per cent. bank annuities to the guardians or trustees of the poor house to ease the inhabitants in their poor's rate. The charity is now regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 25 February 1930 which appoints the mayor, aldermen and citizens of Chichester to be trustees. The endowment of the charity now consists of £22,735 13s. 9d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock, producing in dividends £568 7s. 8d. per annum, which is paid over to the rating authority in relief of the rates of that part of the city within the walls and of the suburb of St. Pancras. The above sums of stock are standing in the name of the Official Trustees of charitable funds.
Anne, Countess of Newburgh, by her will dated 6 October 1858, directed that so much of her investments as would produce £40 per annum should be applied in augmenting the income of the Roman Catholic priest at the Roman Catholic mission at Chichester. The endowment of the charity now consists of £36 18s. East India Railway Company Annuity Class D, standing in the names of the Right Reverend P. E. Amigo, Bishop of Southwark, and three others, and this is paid to the rector of the Roman Catholic church at Chichester.
Chichester Branch of the Y.M.C.A. originated in a Declaration of Trust dated 17 October 1889 of premises and a Declaration of Trust dated 20 December 1890 of a sum of stock. By a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 18 July 1922 the premises and the stock were sold and the proceeds of sale were appropriated towards the purchase of new premises situate at No. 1 North Pallant, Chichester. By a further scheme of the Commissioners dated 12 October 1928 the property and furniture and effects were vested in a body corporate called the National Council of Young Men's Christian Associations (Incorporated) as trustees of the charity.
William Butler, by his will proved at Chichester 17 June 1925, devised 4 houses in Priory Road, Chichester, to the trustees of St. Mary's Hospital upon trust to be used as residences for out-pensioners of the hospital, preference being given to widows of not less than sixty years of age. He also devised 4 houses in Alexandra Terrace, Chichester, to the same body of trustees to be used as a reading room for the residents of Chichester, and particularly for residents of St. Pancras. By the same will he gave No. 4 Alexandra Terrace to the same body of trustees to be used as a workshop for boys. He further directed that in the event of any of the above devises not taking effect, the properties should be sold and the moneys invested in the names of such persons to be appointed by his trustees to form the endowment of a charity to be called 'Alderman William Butler's Charity,' the income to be applied in the payment of weekly sums not exceeding 2s. 6d. each to such persons as the trustees should think fit. All the above properties have recently been condemned by the local authorities and consequently a sale of the same is contemplated.
Helen Egan, by her will proved at Lewes on the 26 June 1931, bequeathed a share of her estate to the Chichester Diocesan Branch of the Church of England Temperance Society. The endowment of the charity consists of £50 5 per cent. War Stock, £717 6s. 4d. 3½ per cent. Conversion Stock, and £150 4 per cent. Victory Bonds producing in dividends £33 12s.
The date of foundation is not known, but in 1786 it appears that there were 6 almshouses which were then unoccupied and in a dilapidated state. They were rebuilt about 1806 by means of voluntary subscriptions.
Mrs. Martha Dear, by her will dated 16 May 1806, gave to the mayor, aldermen and citizens of Chichester £1,000, part of the interest to be applied towards repairing the above almshouses, the residue to be distributed among such poor women as should be selected to inhabit the almshouses. The endowment now consists of £1,008 3s. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees, producing £25 4s. annually in dividends.
James Loader, by his will proved in London on 9 February 1870, gave £300 towards the additional support of women in the almshouses. The endowment now consists of £306 10s. 3d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees producing £7 13s. 4d. annually in dividends. The above charities are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 14 January 1902, which constituted 5 persons, to be appointed by the vestry of the parish of St. Pancras, to be trustees. The net income is distributed amongst the inmates of the almshouses.
Mrs. Martha Dear, by her will above mentioned, gave £120, the income to be paid to the acting physician and surgeons of Chichester Dispensary, now the West Sussex Hospital. The trustees of the almshouses act in the administration of this charity. The endowment now consists of £274 5s. 5d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees producing in dividends £6 17s. per annum.
The same donor by her will gave 100 guineas, the income to be paid to the minister or sequestrator of the parish church of St. Martin or, in case of a cessation of the service at St. Martin, for the minister of St. Peter the Great otherwise Subdeanery in the city of Chichester. The trustees of the almshouses administer this charity. The endowment consists of £105 10s. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees producing in dividends £2 12s. 8d. per annum, which is paid to the vicar of the Subdeanery.
The date of foundation is not known, but for some time past the rent of a piece of land of about 3 acres lying near Portfield Barn in the parish of Rumboldswick is annually appropriated to repairs of the parish church of St. Pancras. The rent amounts to £10 per annum and is paid to the churchwardens.
James Loader, by his will proved 9 February 1870, gave to the rector and churchwardens £200, the interest to go towards annual repairs of the church of St. Pancras. This amount was paid in 1880 to the trustees of Queen Anne's Bounty, from whom £5 17s. 8d. is received annually.
Elizabeth Johnston, by deed dated 27 November 1861, gave to the rector and churchwardens £1,000 East India 5 per cent. Stock, half of the yearly dividends to be applied for providing a Scripture reader, the remaining half in providing nurses for the sick poor of St. Pancras. The endowment now consists of £1,000 India 3½ per cent. Stock held by the Official Trustees producing in dividends £35 per annum, and a cottage known as No. 94 St. Pancras which the donor gave for the purpose of providing a residence for the Scripture reader. The house is now let at a rental of £13 per annum. The income of £48 is paid to a Church Army sister (parish worker) as part salary.
Sarah Evershed, by her will proved at Chichester on 9 November 1797, gave £100 to be invested and the income paid half-yearly to the minister of the General Baptist Meeting, St. Pancras. The endowment now consists of £176 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees producing in dividends £4 8s. per annum. The trustees of the General Baptist Chapel at Eastgate administer the charity.
Baffin's Lane Chapel comprised in a Declaration of Trust of 9 August 1721, and the manse held in connection therewith, Dame Elizabeth Farington's Charity, founded by indenture dated 11 December 1778, and the Charity of John Bayley, founded by will dated 18 February 1807, are now regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 27 June 1919 which appoints the trustees for the time being of the General Baptist Chapel at Eastgate to be trustees of the charities. The manse was sold prior to 1823 and the proceeds were invested and are now represented by £756 2½ per cent. Consols, part of £1,686 5s. like stock mentioned below. The chapel was sold in 1917 and the proceeds invested in £336 9s. 4d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees producing in dividends £8 8s. per annum, and constituting the endowment of the General Baptist Chapel Repair Charity. The endowment of the remaining charities consists of £1,686 5s. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees, producing in dividends £42 3s. 4d. per annum and constitutes the charity of Dame Elizabeth Farington and others for the minister of General Baptist Chapel.
Robert Raper, by indenture dated 1 December 1849, conveyed to trustees a chapel and vestry room and a piece of land adjoining, situate near to the Eastgate in St. Pancras, to be used as a place of public worship by General Baptists. Owing to the chapel having been disused for a considerable period, the rents of the property were accumulated and invested in £947 15s. new 3 per cent. Annuities. The chapel is now used for Unitarian worship.
James Dearling and another, by indentures dated 26 and 27 February 1768 and in consideration of £250, conveyed to trustees a close of land of 4 acres called Dell Hole Field, in the parish of St. Peter the Great, to receive and dispose of the rents most beneficial to the General Baptist Society meeting at their house called the Baptist Meeting House in St. Pancras. This land was sold and the proceeds invested.
The endowments of the above charities now consist of £2,417 5s. 1d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock held by the Official Trustees, producing in dividends £60 8s. 4d. per annum, and £550 5 per cent. War Stock in the names of the British and Foreign Unitarian Association Incorporated, producing £27 10s. per annum, and constitute the endowment for General Baptist Society meeting in Baptist Meeting House. The trustees of the General Baptist Chapel at Eastgate administer the charities.
Miss Emma Muggridge, by her will proved 2 November 1921, left £702 to the incumbent of St. Peter the Great otherwise Subdeanery in the city of Chichester 'to be applied by him in his absolute discretion for the provision of a Parish Room.' The endowment consists of £404 Southern Railway 4 per cent. Debenture Stock and £336 3s. 6d. Birkenhead Corporation 5 per cent. Redeemable Stock 1950–60 held by the Official Trustees, producing in dividends £32 19s. 4d. per annum which is applied in the upkeep of the Subdeanery Parish Room.
Elizabeth Beazley's Charity.
The date of foundation is not known, but there is an annual rent charge of 13s. 4d. on lands in the parish of Bosham paid to the churchwardens of St. Bartholomew's church, who distribute it among 4 widows attending the parish church, to provide their Christmas Day dinner.
From time immemorial two cottages known as Nos. 10 and 11 Westgate, Chichester, have been the property of St. Bartholomew's Church, and the income from them has always been paid to the churchwardens, who have devoted it to church expenses. The property was sold in 1924 and after deducting £50 towards defraying the cost of certain repairs to the church, the balance of the proceeds, amounting to £43 10s. 2d., was invested in £75 11s. 6d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock, the dividends upon which are being accumulated by the Official Trustees at compound interest until such time as the £50 is replaced.
Henry Comper, by his will proved at Chichester on 28 November 1879, directed that £500 3 per cent. Consolidated Bank Annuities be set apart in the names of the rector and churchwardens of All Saints, the dividends to be paid to the rector in augmentation of his income. In 1880 the stock was transferred to the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty.
Henry Comper, by his will proved as above, directed that £500 3 per cent. Consolidated Bank Annuities be set apart in the names of the rector and churchwardens of St. Andrew, the dividends to be paid to the rector in augmentation of his income. In 1880 the stock was transferred to the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty.