A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1935.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The first two volumes of the History of Sussex were published in 1905 and 1907 respectively. Financial difficulties, aggravated by the outbreak of the War, led to work on this county being abandoned until 1930, when Dr. William Page, then editor of the Victoria History, undertook the preparation of this present volume. Delay was again caused by the deaths first of Professor Elizabeth Levett, who was writing the history of the City of Chichester, and then, in February 1934, of Dr. Page himself. Subsequently the revision and completion of the volume, which was by this time in the printers' hands, was entrusted to the present editor.
Publication of this volume has been made possible by the public-spirited action of a number of residents in the county who combined to guarantee the cost of production. Further thanks are due to Mr. H. B. Fletcher for a generous donation of £100.
Thanks are particularly due to Mr. W. D. Peckham for supplying much information, reading the proofs, and assisting in many other ways. Also to Mr. Lindsay Fleming, and to the executors of the late Rev. G. Herbert for the loan of notes and the supply of information; to the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Chichester and their Registrar for affording access to the Cathedral records; and to Mr. J. Loader Cooper, Town Clerk, for giving similar access to the records of the City. To the Council of the Sussex Archæological Society, the Brighton and Hove Archæological Club, and the proprietors of the Sussex County Magazine we are indebted for the loan of blocks; also to Mr. J. W. Barnes for the photograph of King Stephen's Charter; and to Mr. J. Belham for permission to reproduce the print which forms our frontispiece. Thanks are also due to Mr. Walter Godfrey, who, in addition to devoting much time and care to the production of the plan of the Cathedral Precincts, has generously presented the larger plan of the Cathedral. Other assistance is acknowledged in footnotes; but if the names of any who have helped have been omitted, the editor hopes that they will realise that their assistance has been appreciated.