A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 4, the Rape of Chichester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1953.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF DUMPFORD
CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF
In the Domesday Survey this hundred figures as 'Hamesford'. The vill of Elsted was outside Earl Roger's Rape, being held by Bishop Osbern of Exeter as part of his manor of Bosham. (fn. 1) Rogate was evidently included in the 48 hides of Harting, (fn. 2) Didling in Treyford, and Terwick in Trotton. The meeting-place of the hundred was presumably at Dumpford in Trotton. For purposes of taxation and so forth Harting was divided into East, West, and South. (fn. 3)
The manor of Harting was held for many generations by the family of Husee, or Hussey, to one of whom the Earl of Arundel had granted the Hundred of Dumpford before 1244. (fn. 4) It was held in 1275 by Henry Hussey of the earl by rent of 40s. and continued to descend with the manor of Harting (q.v.). (fn. 5)