A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 1, Bramber Rape (Southern Part). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1980.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1086 Patching was listed under Rieberge (later Poling) hundred. (fn. 1) It was presumably removed with West Tarring to Loxfield hundred (in Pevensey rape) by the archbishops of Canterbury in the early 13th century, since it was listed as part of that in 1296 and 1327. (fn. 2) It presumably formed part of Tarring bailiwick in 1368. (fn. 3) In 1524 it was part of the archbishop's liberty in Bramber rape, (fn. 4) but by 1572 it had become a separate hundred, (fn. 5) as it remained thereafter. (fn. 6) The hundred was co-extensive with Patching manor, (fn. 7) and its courts and officers are described under Patching parish below.