A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 2, Bramber Rape (North-Western Part) Including Horsham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1986.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Occasional recusants, some of them members of the Marlott family, were recorded in the late 16th and early 17th century. (fn. 1) No papist was returned in 1640. (fn. 2) There were two Quaker households in the 1660s, one Presbyterian family in 1724, and a few Baptists at both periods. (fn. 3)
The Horsham Congregationalists apparently started a mission at Barns Green in 1865. (fn. 4) 'New work' with the support of New College, Hampstead (Mdx.), was begun in 1870. (fn. 5) The chapel built about then was rebuilt in 1912-13; (fn. 6) it is a plain brick building. It was registered in 1929, (fn. 7) but by 1973 was being used for Anglican services. (fn. 8) It had closed by 1982, (fn. 9) and was afterwards converted to a house.