A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 2, Bramber Rape (North-Western Part) Including Horsham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1986.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Sullington parish probably coincided with Sullington tithing; the part of Clayton lying in Thakeham tithing in 1538 may have been in Washington parish. (fn. 1)
Court books of Sullington manor survive for the years 1452-4, and extracts of court rolls for isolated years in the 17th and 18th centuries. No business other than conveyancing is known. (fn. 2) In 1794 the court was held at Roundabouts. (fn. 3) Its jurisdiction extended over tenements in nine other parishes. (fn. 4) Court books of Broadbridge manor survive for the earlier 19th century and abstracts from 1672. The jurisdiction covered lands in Horsham, Sullington, and Warnham. Poundkeepers were appointed in the 19th century. (fn. 5)
There were two churchwardens and an overseer in 1641. (fn. 6) Two churchwardens and two overseers were nominated in 1835. (fn. 7) A road board appointed by the vestry was meeting in a private house in 1870. (fn. 8)