A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 2, Bramber Rape (North-Western Part) Including Horsham. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1986.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A schoolmaster in Sullington was licensed in 1605. (fn. 1) Subscribers on behalf of Sullington and five other parishes were combining to provide a school on the Bell system there in 1818, attended by c. 45 boys and girls. (fn. 2) By 1833, however, one day school had only 5 boys and 7 girls; it was maintained by the parents. (fn. 3) It had lapsed by 1844. (fn. 4) There was apparently another school in 1862. (fn. 5) A Church of England mixed day school with an uncertificated teacher was opened in 1866 in an earlier building in Water Lane given by G. C. Carew-Gibson. It was maintained by subscriptions and pence and attended by 35. (fn. 6) Attendance reached 39 in 1871, but thereafter declined to 33 in 1894 and 25 between 1899 and 1906; it was 30 in 1914. (fn. 7) The school closed in 1918. (fn. 8)