A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7, the Rape of Lewes. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1940.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF DEAN
containing the parish of Patcham
There was no Dean Hundred at the time of the Domesday Survey and Patcham was then in Preston Hundred. (fn. 1) Subsequently, from at least 1296 (fn. 2) to 1665 (fn. 3) if not later, Patcham was included in Whalesbone Hundred (q.v.). From at least the early 17th century there was in this hundred a 'Constable of the Deane' whose duty it was to act as assistant to the constable of Brighthelmeston (the other 'borrowe' of Whalesbone Hundred) 'for dispatch of business in Pecham Burrowe.' (fn. 4) By 1724 the hundred of Dean was in existence and consisted of the parishes of Patcham and West Blatchington, according to Budgen's map; but, if this is correct, the latter parish must soon afterwards have reverted to Whalesbone Hundred.