A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7, the Rape of Lewes. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1940.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF SOUTHOVER
containing the parish of Southover
In 1249 and 1263 Southover (fn. 1) was described as a halimote, (fn. 2) but in 1275 as a half-hundred (fn. 3) and so also in 1287, (fn. 4) 1332, (fn. 5) and 1334. (fn. 6) Between 1540 and 1560 it was described for the collection of lay subsidies as a hundred, (fn. 7) and so again in 1587, at which date it comprised the vills of Southover and also Lewes. (fn. 8) In 1296 and 1327 it was regarded, also for taxation purposes, as a 'borough' and was extra-hundredal, as was Lewes, (fn. 9) and so again from 1572 to at least 1665. (fn. 10) In 1831 Southover was reckoned in Swanborough Hundred, (fn. 11) while in Figg's map of Sussex (1861) it is definitely marked as part of Barcombe Hundred, as it seems also to be in Budgen's map of 1724. Hundreds are for all practical purposes now extinct, but theoretically there appears still to be a hundred of Southover.