A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7, the Rape of Lewes. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1940.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF BARCOMBE
containing the parishes of Barcombe; Hamsey; Newick
At the time of the Domesday Survey the hundred of Barcombe was composed of Barcombe, Hamsey, and Allington. (fn. 1) The hundred was not divided into vills for the subsidy of 1296, (fn. 2) but in 1316 Barcombe, Hamsey, and Newick were the three divisions, (fn. 3) and in 1327 and 1332 the subsidies were assessed under Northborgh, Middleborgh, and Southborgh, (fn. 4) corresponding with the 17th-century and present-day Newick, Barcombe, and Hamsey. (fn. 5) Two constables were chosen annually for the hundred at least down to the 17th century, the one from Hamsey apparently comprehending the parishes of Hamsey and St. John Without (Lewes), (fn. 6) in which latter parish part at any rate of the Domesday Allington was included. The constable for Barcombe had jurisdiction in the parishes of Barcombe and Newick and was chosen for two years in Barcombe and the third in Newick. (fn. 7)
The hundred descended with the rape and was subject to the same partitions.