A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 8, the City of Coventry and Borough of Warwick. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1969.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR (fn. 1)
By the time of the visit of the Charity Commissioners to Warwick in 1826 there were five almshouse foundations, including the Hospital of Robert, Earl of Leicester, and nearly 50 endowed trusts for charitable purposes. (fn. 2) A number had already lost their identity, partly as a result of the sequestration of King Henry VIII's Estate in 1736, but the commissioners on the whole found that the trusts were being performed in a satisfactory manner, marking a distinct improvement, in many cases, upon the state of affairs at the turn of the century. The corporation controlled several of the larger charities until 1836 when, by a Chancery Order under the Municipal Corporations Act, it was replaced by a body of 21 trustees who thenceforward controlled these and five other charities, known together as Municipal Charities. In 1854 the charities were inspected by Mr. Commissioner Walker Skirrow whose report (fn. 3) contained a number of serious criticisms of their administration. The visit of the Schools Enquiry Commission in 1864 led eventually to the amalgamation of a number of educational charities under the King's School Foundation, largely completed between 1875 and 1882. A Scheme of 1880 regulated a number of charities limited to the ecclesiastical parish of St. Nicholas by making them operative in All Saints parish, which had been formed out of it. (fn. 4) The failure of Greenway's Bank and the bankruptcy of Kelynge Greenway, a trustee of many charities in the town, contributed to moves to improve the effectiveness of Warwick's charitable foundations, leading directly to a report by the town clerk published in 1890. As a result moves were made to unite similar charities. The Municipal Charities were extended in 1891, and an attempt was made to unite the dole charities. (fn. 5) In 1907 the Charity Commissioners agreed to the borough's request to amalgamate the three pension charities of Griffin, Johnson, and Tolloos which were joined by Rothwell's in 1908 and Price's in 1916. (fn. 6) The Warwick Combined Charities, comprising Burton's, Holliock's, and the charity of Owen, Wilson and Furnis, were joined together in 1913 and the last significant union was that of the Warwick Apprenticing Charities in 1930, now under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education. Moves for the consolidation of St. Mary's Almshouse Charity which would complete the history of the modernization of the town's charitable foundations have not yet been successfully negotiated.
HENRY ARCHER'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1764 Henry Archer gave £500 to be invested, the interest to be used to purchase coals in summer for sale to the poor at half price during winter. Two-thirds of the coals were to be distributed in St. Mary's parish, one third in St. Nicholas's parish, to be given from two to four times according to the weather, single persons receiving 1 cwt., families 2 cwts. The capital was placed in the hands of the Earl of Warwick, who until 1783 paid 4 per cent. interest. In that year the Hon. Charles Greville added a further sum to the capital, on which the earl paid 5 per cent. interest. By 1826 the coals were being sold to all poor not receiving parish relief. (fn. 7) The income of the charity remained constant at £25 in 1872-4. (fn. 8) By Schemes of 1880 the charity was associated with those of Henry Furnis and others, to provide clothing, bread, fuel, and aid in sickness to needy persons in the parishes of St. Nicholas and All Saints. (fn. 9)
THOMAS AYLWORTH'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1660 Thomas Aylworth gave £200 to be invested in lands or an annuity to provide, inter alia, three gowns for two men and one woman in Castle Street ward, and bread each Sunday for the poor of the same ward, or any other ward in St. Mary's parish. The poor of Kineton were the recipients of the rest of the charity. The capital was not immediately invested, but distributions were subsequently made until 1715. In 1718 land in Staverton (Northants.) was purchased, carrying a rental of £52, a sum of £2 12s. being for the Warwick bread charity, together with three-sevenths of the residue. This amounted to over £18 in 1825. By that date loaves were provided for six poor people, and the residue was spent on coals and gowns. Distribution was no longer confined to Castle Street ward. (fn. 10) In 1872-4 the income from the charity for Warwick was about £25. (fn. 11) A Scheme of 1956 regulated the whole charity, so that Warwick was to receive threesevenths of the whole income, amounting in that year to some £141. Doles of from 2s. 6d. to 10s. are given each week, together with assistance for food and bedding; subscriptions are paid to hospitals and almshouses. The charity is administered by the trustees of the United Charities of Griffin and others. (fn. 12)
Joseph Blissett's Charity. Under the will of Joseph Blissett, dated 1712, £150 was given to be invested to provide bread at St. Mary's Church each Sunday for eight poor householders. A house at the corner of Church Street was charged with £5 4s. to provide an income for the purpose. (fn. 13) The charity is administered by the vicar and churchwardens.
Bridge End Coal Charity. The charity was established by Act of Parliament in 1772 in lieu of furze formerly taken by the inhabitants of Bridge End ward from a place called Warwick Heath, south-east of the Warwick to Whitnash road, and inclosed by the Earl of Warwick into his park. A rent charge of £27 6s. was used, by 1826, to purchase coals to be distributed by the churchwardens of St. Nicholas. (fn. 14) The income had risen to £36 in 1872- 1874. (fn. 15) In 1963 the charity was divided between poor families and deserving individuals. (fn. 16)
EARL BROOKE'S CHARITY.
The origin of this charity is obscure, but by 1721 the sum of £10 was received annually from Lord Brooke by the corporation to clothe and educate twelve poor girls. These payments can be traced until 1736, when the corporation ceased to receive the money. The commissioners of 1826 believed that the money continued to be paid, for up to that year £7 16s. was annually given by the earl's steward to the master of the charity school in St. Peter's Chapel. The girls, all from St. Nicholas's parish, were chosen by the churchwardens. (fn. 17) This payment was still made in 1872-4, though it was said to be voluntary. (fn. 18) The income was merged in the King's School Foundation in 1875. (fn. 19)
CATHERINE BURTON'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1724 Catherine Burton gave £200 in trust to be invested, the profits from which were to be applied to ten poor widows of St. Nicholas's parish. The churchwardens and overseers added a further £40 and purchased property in Coten End and St. Nicholas's Meadow, which included a house used as the parish workhouse, (fn. 20) together with a close called Workhouse Close. In 1826 the income from the property was distributed to needy widows in sums of 10s. and more. (fn. 21) In 1872-4 the income was £39. (fn. 22) The property of the charity was sold in 1880 and 1890. (fn. 23) In 1913 the charity became one of the Warwick Combined Charities, serving the ecclesiastical parishes of St. Nicholas and All Saints. (fn. 24)
MATTHEW BUSBY'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1743 Matthew Busby provided that £105 to be raised by his executors should be used to purchase land, the income from which was to place a boy from St. Mary's parish as an apprentice each year, and also to provide one shilling weekly as a bread allowance for the poor of the same parish. A messuage in Swan Lane (known as the Peacock in 1740, later as the Dolphin, and in 1826 as the White Hart Inn) was purchased, producing a rent of £16. The bread charity was increased in 1807, and by 1826 the premium of each apprentice cost £10. (fn. 25) In 1875 this charity became part of the King's School Foundation. (fn. 26)
SIR THOMAS DELVES'S CHARITY.
By lease dated 1727 Sir Thomas Delves vested land in Myton in trustees who, within sixteen years of his death, were to raise £1,000 to purchase more land. The income was to be shared equally between the parishes of St. Mary and St. Nicholas to apprentice poor children and to support the poor generally. A decree of 1734 established a trust, and in 1749 land known as Baxter's Leasowes in Budbrooke was purchased. By 1826 apprentices were nominated by the vicar and churchwardens in each parish, and were given £10 as a premium. (fn. 27) In 1872-4 the annual income was £146. (fn. 28) By a Scheme dated 1930 the charity was consolidated as one of the Warwick Apprenticing Charities. A small proportion of its income was to be administered by the trustees of the United Charities of Ann Johnson, Richard Griffin and John Tolloos for the benefit of the aged poor. Since 1952 the Apprenticing Charities have been administered by the Ministry of Education. (fn. 29)
THE COUNTESS OF DEVONSHIRE'S CHARITY.
The charity was founded by Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Boughton of Cawston, and wife of William Cavendish, Earl of Devonshire. She died probably in 1642. By will or other act she gave £50 to the corporation to be lent at the rate of 5 per cent., the interest to be given to five poor men annually. Payments were made until 1736, but after the sequestration of that year the income became merged in King Henry VIII's Estate and payments were discontinued. (fn. 30)
T. B. Dickins's Charity. The Revd. T. B. Dickins, Vicar of All Saints, Emscote, by will proved in 1919, gave £100 in trust to be invested, the dividend to be given annually by the Vicar of All Saints to six poor widows who are regular communicants. (fn. 31)
RICHARD EDGEWORTH'S CHARITY.
Land in Warwick known as Gospel Close and Gospel Meadow was given under the will of Richard Edgeworth, dated 1645, for the purpose, inter alia, of paying £4 each year to the poor of Warwick, the first payment to be made seventeen years after the donor's death. In 1668 the mayor and borough justices were declared to be trustees of the charity. Shortly before 1826 each of the four trustees distributed the income as he found need. (fn. 32) From 1836 the charity was administered with the Municipal Charities, but in 1875 was transferred to the King's School Foundation. (fn. 33)
AUSTIN EDWARDS'S CHARITY.
By will proved in 1944 Austin Edwards devised investments in trust 'for such charitable purposes in and about Warwick' as the trustees should determine. (fn. 34)
By will dated 1591 Nicholas Eyffler devised his house in Jury Street, (fn. 35) together with a barn and Meakin's Close, beyond West Street, subject to life interests, in trust, the combined rents of 30s. to be paid to the collectors of Thomas Oken's Charity. Within ten years of the death of Eyffler's wife, the life tenant of the property was to convert a barn on Back Hills into two or four houses, to be used as almshouses for four women. Effect was given to these arrangements in 1592, and the almshouses were opened in 1597 to accommodate eight women, four spinsters and four widows. Each inmate on entrance received 1s. and a gown.
In 1821 the trustees exchanged the house in Jury Street for lands on St. Mary's Common. (fn. 36) The charge on Meakin's Close had by that time been lost. The income of the charity in 1825 was about £38 and each almswoman received a quarterly allowance of 2s. 1d., together with a gown of brown cloth and eight hundredweight of coal each year. (fn. 37) In 1891 it became part of the Municipal Charities. (fn. 38)
John Johnson gave the residue of his estate, after the death of his wife, for the benefit of the inmates of Eyffler's Almshouses. In 1927 this sum was invested to provide weekly stipends of 2s. 6d. for each almswoman. (fn. 39) Under a Scheme of 1956 Eyffler's Charity and John Johnson's legacy ceased to be part of the Municipal Charities, but as Eyffler's Almshouse Charity was to be administered by Oken's trustees. In the following year the two charities were united. (fn. 40)
HENRY FURNIS'S CHARITY.
In 1628 Henry Furnis charged three houses in Bridge End with an annual rent of £2 13s. payable to the churchwardens of St. Nicholas to provide bread each Sunday for the poor of the parish. In 1826 the income of £2 12s. was spent on giving bread to six people for life. (fn. 41) In 1880 a Scheme associated this charity with others in the parish administered by the vicar and churchwardens which became known as the Charity of Henry Furnis and others. (fn. 42) It was to be available in equal shares for the parish of All Saints. (fn. 43)
CHARITY OF HENRY FURNIS AND OTHERS
(1880): see the charities of Henry Archer, Henry Furnis, Richard Grimes, Edmund Makepeace, George Partington, and the Revd. John Smith.
THE CHARITY OF WILLIAM GOODE AND OTHERS.
In 1605 William Goode gave £3 to the parish of St. Nicholas, the interest to be paid in bread to the poor each year. Richard Cattle in 1609 similarly gave the sum of £1. These two charities presumably continued to be paid as directed until 1665 when they were combined with two others in the parish, those of Mrs. Turville and Nicholas Wilkins. Mrs. Turville in 1658 gave £5, the interest of which was to provide books for poor children. In the following year Nicholas Wilkins gave a similar sum for the poor. These four charities, together with £8 surplus from the combined Furnis, Denton, and Owen charities, (fn. 44) comprising a capital sum of £22, were amalgamated, and from 1665 until 1694 the interest was paid to the poor. In 1694 the capital was used to cast bells for the church and to repair one of the church houses. The interest was still paid by the churchwardens to the poor in 1714. (fn. 45)
A further sum, received in compensation for property in High Street destroyed in the fire of 1694 was used in 1710 to pay a debt owed by the churchwardens. They were required, as a result, to pay 7s. each year to the overseers for bread on specified days. (fn. 46)
MRS. SARAH GREVILLE'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1719 the Hon. Mrs. Sarah Greville gave £1,500 on trust to buy land, one third of the profits of which was to be paid respectively to the Vicars of St. Mary and St. Nicholas, Warwick, and the Vicar of Knowle, to provide 'comely and decent apparel' and to pay for the schooling of poor children. In 1826 the income from the charity estate at Harbury and Long Itchington amounted to £236, with which twelve boys and twelve girls were sent to school from each parish, each being provided with clothing and stationery. In Warwick the children attended the school in St. Peter's Chapel over the East Gate, and the schoolmaster received £24. (fn. 47) In 1872-4 the income amounted to about £263 from rent and investments; just over £175 was spent on education, two-thirds of that sum in Warwick. (fn. 48) In 1875 the charity became part of the King's School Foundation. (fn. 49)
RICHARD GRIFFIN'S CHARITY.
In 1592 Richard Griffin conveyed land in Bridge End and Myton in trust to provide, inter alia, a dole to be distributed twice each year to the poor inhabitants of the town. (fn. 50) By will dated 1593 this property was confirmed to the trustees, when it was specified that no trustee should be a member of the corporation. By 1825 it was the practice for each of the five trustees to distribute £40 in sums of 5s. or 10s. At Christmas distributions of meat were sometimes made, and clothing was also given. (fn. 51) In 1872-4 the income from rent and investments amounted to some £295 annually. (fn. 52) On the establishment of the King's School Foundation in 1875 the charity provided a sum of £100 each year until 1882 when a single payment of £500 was made to the Foundation. (fn. 53) In 1907 the charity was merged with those of John Tolloos and Ann Johnson, and a further payment was made to the King's School Foundation. The Scheme of 1907 provided for grants to hospitals, the residue being spent on pensions of between 5s. and 7s. each week. (fn. 54) In 1956 the charities in the 1907 Scheme, joined with those of Rothwell, Price, and part of Delves, became the United Charities of Griffin and others. In 1955 the income of Griffin's Charity was over £360. (fn. 55)
RICHARD GRIMES'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1709 Richard Grimes gave land in St. Nicholas's parish charged, after the death of his wife, to produce £5 each year, to be divided equally between the parishes of St. Mary and St. Nicholas for bread and clothing. In St. Mary's parish 10s. was to be spent on bread and £2 to provide three gowns for three poor men, each embroidered with the letters 'R. G'. Bread money in St. Nicholas's parish was to be added to the income of the overseers; clothing money was to be paid to the vicar and churchwardens, each of whom was to provide a coat for a poor man. The land of the charity, known as Long Closes, was taken into the Castle Park at the end of the 18th century, in lieu of which the charity income was paid by the Earl of Warwick's steward. (fn. 56) In a Scheme of 1880 the share of St. Nicholas's parish was to be administered jointly with the charities of Henry Furnis and others, and was to be divided equally with the parish of All Saints, Emscote. (fn. 57) The other share is administered by the Vicar and churchwardens of St. Mary's. (fn. 58)
LADY ELIZABETH GUILDFORD'S CHARITY.
Probably from 1701 Lady Elizabeth Guildford gave £5 each year to educate three boys from St. Nicholas's parish and four from St. Mary's parish, aged between five and ten years, and to provide them with blue uniforms. At her death, by 1705, her husband gave £100 to the mayor and corporation on trust, to pay the interest for the same purpose. The capital sum was taken into King Henry VIII's Estate and was paid until the sequestration in 1736. The estates have been subsequently amalgamated. (fn. 59)
JOHN HADLEY'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1702 John Hadley gave a messuage in Cow Lane (now Brook Street), the profits of which, after the death of his cousin, together with £100, were to be used to purchase more land. The total income was to apprentice a poor boy or girl from St. Mary's parish. The additional land purchased lay in Henley in Arden, and was known as Day's Meadow. The usual premium in the 19th century was £5, and the annual income in 1826 was about £15. (fn. 60) Rents were worth £22 in 1872-4, (fn. 61) and £25 in 1928. (fn. 62) In 1930 this charity was consolidated with others to form the Warwick Apprenticing Charities which, since 1952, have been administered by the Ministry of Education. (fn. 63)
ALICE HAMMOND'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1778 Alice Hammond gave the sum of £200, due to her on a mortgage of tolls on the Stratford-Birmingham turnpike, in trust to distribute the interest annually to six poor widows of St. Mary's parish. (fn. 64) In 1872-4 the income from investments amounted to nearly £15. (fn. 65) The charity was regulated by a Scheme of 1887, and the sum of £13 2s. was spent on six widows in 1902. (fn. 66)
HENRY HEATH'S CHARITY.
ROBERT HEATH'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1684 Robert Heath devised £5 a year out of land at Southam to apprentice a poor man's child in the borough. (fn. 69) The charity was administered by the mayor, and from 1836 was under the control of the Municipal trustees. (fn. 70) It became part of the King's School Foundation in 1875. (fn. 71)
MARTHA HOLLIOCK'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1780 Martha Holliock devised land in the Saltisford; £2 of the rent was to be paid to John Wilson's Charity for clothing and the residue was to be distributed in bread at St. Nicholas's Church. Up to 1812 a separate account was kept for the clothing charity, after which the balance was transferred to the Wilson, Furnis, and Owen Charity. The bread charity functioned between 1795 and 1801 when 4s. each year was paid to the Revd. John Smith's bread charity for the poor of St. Nicholas's parish. From 1823 the charity was combined with that of Wilson, Furnis, and Owen for clothing, but £2 11s. was spent on bread. (fn. 72) By 1872-4 the total income of £8 10s. 6d. was spent on clothing. (fn. 73) In 1913 the charity became part of the Warwick Combined Charities, serving both St. Nicholas's and All Saints parishes. (fn. 74)
CATHERINE HOLMES'S CHARITY.
By a Scheme of 1925 investments devised by Catherine Holmes were to be applied for the general benefit of the poor in All Saints parish. They amounted to £43 19s. 3d. in 5 per cent. War Stock and two mortgage bonds of £100. (fn. 75) The charity is one of the United Charities of All Saints Church.
AMBROSIA HUGHES'S CHARITY.
By will proved in 1860 Mrs. Ambrosia Hughes gave to the Vicar and churchwardens of St. Mary's investments for the maintenance of her family tomb, the surplus to be divided among poor widows. In 1911 the initial trust was cancelled by order of the Charity Commissioners and the charity was henceforth to be used solely for poor widows. (fn. 76)
MARY JEACOCKS'S CHARITY.
Under the will of Mary Jeacocks, dated 1787, the Vicar and churchwardens of St. Nicholas's parish were given £60 on trust, to pay the capital or the interest as a dole. By 1798 the sum had increased to £70. Until 1809 interest was paid on the capital, but in that year the holder became bankrupt, and the charity was considered lost. When the interest was paid it was used to augment the Revd. John Smith's Charity for shoes. (fn. 77)
ANN JOHNSON'S CHARITY.
Mrs. Ann Johnson or Johnston, widow of Dr. William Johnston (fn. 78) of Landor House, by deed of release dated 1732, gave a number of houses on the north side of Smith Street, including what is now Landor House, forming the estate of her late husband, the profits of which were to be used, after her decease, for clothing the poor in both parishes in the town and placing out children as apprentices. By will, also dated 1732, her personal estate was given in trust to buy land, the profits of which were for distribution by the trustees. The property, purchased probably in 1737, was in Bishop's Tachbrook. In 1825 the total rental of the charity was £258 10s., out of which £2 12s. was distributed in each parish in bread. Occasionally an apprentice was financed, and the residue (£120 in 1825) was distributed in doles by the trustees. (fn. 79) In 1872-4 the income of £304 10s. was spent on clothing, but apprentices were given premiums at the discretion of the trustees. (fn. 80) By a scheme of 1877 Landor House and an annuity of £50 were given to the King's School Foundation. In 1907 this charity became part of the United Charities of Ann Johnson, Richard Griffin, and John Tolloos, and a transfer of investments to the King's School Foundation ended the annuity. This left an income of nearly £106 from investments. The charities thus merged, joined by those of Delves for the aged poor, Price, and Rothwell, became the United Charities of Richard Griffin and others in 1956. (fn. 81)
JOHN JOHNSON'S LEGACY: see EYFFLER'S ALMS-HOUSES.
KING HENRY VIII's ESTATE.
The obligation to provide money for the support of the poor in the town was not included in the original grant of the estate which from 1545 provided the governing body of the town with the greater part of its income. (fn. 82) The increase in the value of the estate and the machinations of the enemies of the corporation, however, resulted in a Chancery Decree dated 1618 whereby, inter alia, the corporation became obliged to distribute at least £16 each year to the poor, and to raise £100 in stock to put them to work. (fn. 83) A further Chancery Decree, dated 1638, ordered that the residue of the estate should be used, inter alia, towards apprenticing poor children and the relief of the poor and aged. (fn. 84) Apart from a few irregular payments in cases of need, it appears that the corporation failed to fulfil its obligations until after the sequestration of the estate in 1736. Following a Chancery Order of 1748, the corporation regularly provided a sum of £1 each week for bread, together with other aid as occasion demanded. (fn. 85) The Commissioners of 1826 were of the opinion that more money might be given for the relief of the poor, though the obligation to apprentice children was felt to be unnecessary in view of the number of apprenticing charities already in existence in the town. (fn. 86) No payments of the bread charity were recorded for the years 1872-4. (fn. 87)
KING'S SCHOOL FOUNDATION.
As a result of the visit of a Schools Enquiry Commissioner in 1864, the trustees of King Henry VIII's Estate proposed in 1867 to use the accumulation of Sir Thomas White's Charity for the establishment of a commercial school and the provision of new buildings for the grammar school. A Scheme was published in 1873 and approved two years later which consolidated a number of charities in order to provide support for a new grammar school and middle schools for 100 boys and 80 girls. (fn. 88) Thus in 1875 the charities of Earl Brooke, Matthew Busby, Richard Edgeworth, Sarah Greville, Robert Heath, Fulke Weale (both), and Sir Thomas Wheatley were combined; and annual grants were received from the charities of Richard Griffin, Thomas Oken, and from King Henry VIII's Estate. The income from Sir Thomas White's Charity was added every four years. (fn. 89) Between 1877 and 1907 the charity of Ann Johnson provided an annuity, together with Landor House, given in the former year. In 1907 the annuity was replaced by a transfer of investments. (fn. 90) Under a Scheme of 1882 a similar arrangement was made in respect of the annuity from Griffin's Charity. In the same year a further grant was made from Sir Thomas White's Charity, (fn. 91) and property, including land at Myton and the sites of the old grammar school, and of the middle school in the Butts, was transferred from King Henry VIII's Estate. (fn. 92) In 1898 the income from the charities of Jane Tomkys and William Vyner were incorporated in the foundation, and in 1908 Thomas Oken's trustees made over investments in lieu of an annuity. (fn. 93)
THE KIRSHAW TRUST.
By indenture dated 1880 Ellen Ann Kirshaw conveyed the Marble House, (fn. 94) and other property in trust for use as a general dispensary and cottage hospital, and by a codicil to her will, dated 1887, left the sum of £1,000 to equip the house for that purpose. The council of the Warwick Provident Dispensary having previously considered the property unsuitable, declined the second bequest in 1892, receiving meanwhile the rent from the Marble House properties. The house was subsequently sold, and the income of the trust is now used for general charitable purposes connected with the town, including, in 1961, the Warwick Old People's Friendship Circle. (fn. 95)
RICHARD LANE'S CHARITY.
Alderman Richard Lane by will dated 1723 devised land in Warwick and Harbury, the profits from which were to produce £5 to apprentice a boy each year and to give him £5 on successful completion of his apprenticeship. By 1826 the income of the charity amounted to £10, received only from the estate at Harbury. This sum was not usually enough for premiums, the last appointment having been made in 1822. The charity was therefore continued in conjunction with other apprenticing charities. (fn. 96) The income remained the same in 1872-4. (fn. 97) In 1930 this charity was consolidated with others to form the Warwick Apprenticing Charities, which since 1952 have been administered by the Ministry of Education. (fn. 98)
MR. LEA'S CHARITY.
According to a table of benefactions in St. Mary's church, Mr. Lea, a baker, gave a house in Joyce Pool towards the relief of poor prisoners in the county gaol. At the end of the 18th century the house was pulled down and the charity has subsequently been considered lost. (fn. 99)
LORD LEICESTER'S HOSPITAL.
The Hospital of Robert, Earl of Leicester, in Warwick, (fn. 100) more commonly known as Lord Leicester's Hospital, was founded by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and licensed by an Act of Parliament in 1571. (fn. 101) The former guildhall and associated buildings, (fn. 102) including St. James's Chapel over the West Gate, were given by the bailiff and burgesses to house the foundation. A deed of 1585 recited that Ralph Griffin, D.D., had been appointed the first master, and that twelve 'poor brethren ... had their abode and relief there at the charges of ... the ... earl'. Griffin was succeeded in 1585 by Thomas Cartwright, whose appointment has been seen as part of a concerted plan by Leicester and his brother Ambrose, Earl of Warwick, to strengthen the Puritan cause in Warwickshire. Probably to secure Cartwright's complete protection, Leicester executed a deed appointing him for life master of the hospital 'for the finding, sustentation, and relief of poor, needy, impotent men, and especially of such as shall be hereafter wounded, maimed or hurt in the wars in the service of her Majesty, her heirs or successors'. The appointment of the master was to be made by the earl and his heirs, and the Master and Brethren became a body corporate.
By a further deed in 1585 Leicester drew up 34 ordinances for the government of the hospital, the execution of which was to be under the supervision of three Visitors, the Bishop of Worcester, and the recorders of Warwick and Coventry. Preference for admission as a brother was to be given to those wounded in war, especially servants or tenants of the founder and his heirs. Natives of Warwickshire and Gloucestershire, or those with four or five years residence, were to be considered first, those from Warwick, Kenilworth, Stratford-upon-Avon, and from the lordships of Wootton-under-Edge (Glos.) and Arlingham (Glos.) in that order having particular preference. No brother was to have an income of more than £5.
Leicester planned that the hospital should have an income of £200 per annum, and that one quarter of this should form the stipend of the master. The rest was to be divided equally between the brethren in meat, drink, money, and other necessaries. To this end he endowed the hospital with an estate comprising the rectory, parsonage, glebe farm and tithes of Napton-on-the-Hill, the manor of Shilton alias Barnacle, the rectory of Hampton-in-Arden and its tithes in Hampton, Balsall and Knowle, property in Harbury, and tithes in Poulton and Woolston in Warrington (Lancs.). In his will, dated 1587, Leicester provided that if the income did not reach £200, it should be made up out of the manor of Great Hampton (Worcs.). After Leicester's death, his brother, Ambrose, executed a further deed of incorporation in 1589, and in accordance with Leicester's wish, granted an annuity of £20 to the hospital from Cryfield in Stoneleigh. In the same year new statutes were drawn up for domestic regulation, and their decided Puritan tendency suggests that they were the work of Thomas Cartwright. There is, however, no evidence to suggest that they were enforced.
The death of the Earl of Warwick in 1590 deprived the hospital of its protector, and its very existence was put in jeopardy. Leicester's widow claimed the estates as dower, the annuity from Great Hampton was withheld, and that from Cryfield disputed. Only Lord Burghley's intervention at Cartwright's urgent request saved the hospital. An Act of Parliament in 1597 cured the defective title to all except the Cryfield property, which was disputed until 1601.
By the beginning of the 18th century some of the governing ordinances had become outdated and caused considerable friction. The master continued to receive only the £50 granted by the founder, although the shares of the brethren had increased with the value of the hospital estates. The Revd. Samuel Jemmatt (master, 1671-1713) took a brother's share instead of his own salary and augmented it by holding a school in the hospital. Disputes also arose because the Patron nominated brethren from outside the towns specified in the original foundation. In 1705 the Visitors enjoined strict observance of the ordinances on both matters. The root of the trouble therefore remained. In 1813, however, an Act of Parliament amended the ordinances by increasing the salary of the master to £400, by fixing the payment to each brother at £80, and by raising the income limit for prospective brethren from £5 to £50. In addition, if income allowed, the buildings were to be altered to provide accommodation for a further ten brethren. This last provision was not carried out, for the income of the hospital (in 1812 about £1,766) was less than the cost of the Act, £1,832.
In 1858 a scheme to change the organization of the hospital was abandoned, although the estate at Hampton-in-Arden was sold in that year in anticipation of purchasing buildings in Brook Street. The manor of Shilton alias Barnacle seems to have been lost earlier, about 1780. The average income of the hospital between 1872 and 1874 was over £2,750, comprising rents and rent charges of about £2,657 and dividends from investments. (fn. 103) Between 1920 and 1928 most of the estates were sold, though between 1934 and 1955 small purchases were made in the immediate vicinity of the hospital itself. (fn. 104) In 1963 the income was £6,532 13s. (fn. 105)
Organizational changes took place as a result of the creation of the diocese of Coventry in 1919: a Scheme of 1926, confirmed by Act of Parliament, nominated the Bishop of Coventry as sole Visitor. The power formerly vested in the Bishop of Worcester and the recorders of Coventry and Warwick was thenceforth to be exercised by the Bishop of Coventry, the recorder of Warwick, and the Archdeacon of Warwick. A Scheme of 1955 reorganized the government of the hospital entirely. Lord De L'Isle and the Bishop of Coventry remained respectively Patron and Visitor. A body of five Governors was established, to include the Patron and a representative of the borough of Warwick, together with three co-optative Governors, who were to be resident in or have a business in the town. The brethren, to be appointed by the Governors, were chosen from carefully regulated categories which preserved the preference for natives of the places named in the original foundation, who had suffered disability during service with the armed forces. The work of restoration and modernization of the buildings has temporarily reduced the number of brethren. (fn. 106)
Lady Katherine Leveson's Charity.
In a codicil to her will dated 1670 Lady Katherine Leveson gave an annual rent charge of £40 on lands in Foxley (Northants.), for repairs to the Beauchamp Chapel in St. Mary's Church, the surplus being given to the brethren of Lord Leicester's Hospital. No regular payments of the surplus were made, though in 1802 £100 was given and in 1817 £50. (fn. 107) In 1854 it was found that nothing was given to the brethren, (fn. 108) and church purposes alone were recorded in 1872-4. (fn. 109)
LOWER SALTISFORD ALMSHOUSES.
The medieval hospital of St. Michael came into lay hands in 1545, but still provided an income for a weekly distribution of money for the poor, together with four beds for poor men and money for a poor woman to attend them. (fn. 110) For a time in 1556-7 the religious character of the foundation was restored, but it is not known whether this affected the work for the poor. In 1586 the master of the hospital was said to be supporting one family only; (fn. 111) by 1611-12 the owner, Sir Thomas Puckering, was paying half the income of the property to the poor. (fn. 112) In 1635 he is said to have built almshouses beyond the hospital where, later in the century, eight women lived, supported by £4 each year from the Puckering estate. (fn. 113) The annuity still continued though not without dispute during the 18th century. (fn. 114) The four houses themselves (later known as Nos. 112-118 Saltisford), each of two rooms under one roof are thought to have been built between 1702 and 1730. (fn. 115) They were demolished in 1964. By a Scheme of 1956 the rent charge became payable to St. Mary's Almshouse Charities. (fn. 116)
THE CHARITIES OF EDMUND MAKEPIECE THE ELDER and EDMUND MAKEPIECE THE YOUNGER.
By will dated 1672 Edmund Makepeace the elder devised to his son his land in Bridge End charged with an annual rent of 52s. to provide bread for the poor at St. Nicholas's Church. His son, Edmund, left a sum of money for the same purpose in 1693. (fn. 117) By 1826 the lands were held by Lord Warwick, whose steward paid the charge of £5 4s. to the Vicar and churchwardens of St. Nicholas. (fn. 118) Since 1880 the charity has been joined with the charity of Henry Furnis and others 'for the general benefit of deserving and necessitous people' in the parishes of St. Nicholas and All Saints. (fn. 119)
THIRZA MARTIN ALMSHOUSES.
By trust deed dated 1929 Charles William Martin gave properties known as Nos. 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20, Avon Street for use as almshouses to be known as the Thirza Martin Almshouses. A capital sum of £1,500 was in the hands of the trustees in 1931 for investment for their upkeep. In 1953 the cottages were let at rack rents, and one lady received an annuity from the trustees. The properties have not been considered suitable as almshouses, and the income from rents and investments has been retained pending possible reorganization of almshouses in the town. (fn. 120)
THOMAS OKEN'S CHARITY.
Thomas Oken by his will dated 1570 gave to the corporation three houses in Pebble Lane to be used as almshouses for six poor people; they were to be paid 4s. each every year and every third year were to receive gowns. The houses were destroyed in the fire of 1694, and were rebuilt next to Eyffler's Almshouses on Back Hills in 1696, designed to hold twelve persons. John Williams, carpenter, was responsible for the work. (fn. 121) By 1825 the almspeople together received 10s. every quarter, and six received annually a gown, at a cost of £2 12s. The almspeople also received sums of 2s. each weekly from the general disbursements of Oken's Charity. The almspeople were generally women, appointed by the trustees, who could also participate in other charities of the borough. (fn. 122) By 1872-4 £4 6s. 8d. was paid from the charity to support the almshouses. (fn. 123) Under a Scheme of 1934 the charity was charged with £20 each year for the repair of the almshouses and a payment of 24s. to the almspeople. Part of the residue, after other fixed payments, was to be used for the almshouses. This latter fund included weekly pensions of 7s. 6d. to each of the six almspeople. (fn. 124)
By deed dated 1571 Thomas Oken left his estate in Warwick and elsewhere in trust to be applied after his death for public works, for educational purposes, and for the poor. A schoolmaster was to have £2 annually to teach 'petties' and poor men's children, and a similar sum was to be given to augment the grammar-school master's wages. Apart from the establishment of almshouses, the sum of £4 was to be distributed annually to the poor of the town, together with 3s. 4d. on the day a sermon was preached on the anniversary of Oken's death. The surplus of rents after all payments had been made was for the general relief of the poor in payment of taxes. (fn. 125)
By will dated 1570 Oken gave £100 to the town to purchase land to be used as commons, or for loans, the interest being paid to the poor. (fn. 126) This sum was at first used to encourage cloth manufacture in the town which would provide the poor with work. (fn. 127) Before 1583, however, land had been purchased from Sir John Puckering, known as St. Michael's Piece. This was conveyed by Oken's executors to the inhabitants of the town and became part of St. Mary's Common. (fn. 128)
By 1825 the rent from Oken's properties amounted to over £670 together with reservations and incidental sales of timber. (fn. 129) A number of contributions from the charity had also increased, including a payment of £13 to the master of the school in St. Peter's Chapel for the education of thirteen boys, though £2 was still paid to the master of the grammar school. Bread valued at 10s. was then distributed to the poor on sermon day in place of 3s. 4d. Part of the residue, in 1825 amounting to £13 10s. 3d., provided clothing and stationary for the charity boys at Bablake School, and a contribution of 12s. 6d. was made to Henry Archer's Charity for coal. The residue of over £300 was then distributed in weekly instalments. (fn. 130) These amounted to sums of 2s. to poor men and women chosen by the trustees and wardsmen, and were paid to some 60 people. (fn. 131) Over £850 was distributed in doles in 1872-4 and over £37 for education. (fn. 132)
Under the deed of 1571, 24 commoners or wardsmen were appointed to distribute the surplus alms and appoint almspeople. In 1840 13 nominees and 16 feoffees were added to their ranks. These were replaced under a Scheme of 1934 by a single body of 16 trustees under the chairmanship of the mayor. Charges laid down under the Scheme, which took into account the transfer of investments to the King's School Foundation in 1908, established payments of £4 for distribution by the mayor, a number of fixed payments, and the residue for the general benefit of the poor and for the maintenance of the almshouses. Expenditure in 1953 on pensions amounted to £370 including eight out pensions. (fn. 133)
OWEN, WILSON AND FURNIS CHARITY.
Henry Furnis, by will dated 1628, gave £50 to the parish of St. Nicholas to provide cloth for poor men and women. To this was added the sum of £10 given by a Mr. Denton and a further £50 was devised under the will of Thomas Owen dated 1643. A close in Myton was purchased for £72 and was vested in trustees in 1684. The surplus was applied to the charity of William Goode and others. (fn. 134)
By will dated 1693 John Wilson left an estate in Bishop's Tachbrook to provide cloth on specified days to the poor of St. Nicholas's parish. In 1714 the estate was administered by twelve nominees of the donor. (fn. 135) By 1826 the total income of the three bequests was £22 12s. From 1812 the residue of Martha Holliock's Charity was jointly administered with this. In 1825 30 men and 30 women received clothing from the charity. (fn. 136) In 1872-4 £31 9s. from rent and investments was spent on clothing. (fn. 137) In 1913 the charity was combined with those of Burton and Holliock and became known as the Warwick Combined Charities. (fn. 138)
GEORGE PARTINGTON'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1864 George Partington devised investments to provide gifts in kind for the poor of St. Nicholas's parish. In 1915 the charity became part of the charity of Henry Furnis and others. (fn. 139)
MARIANNE PHILIPS'S CHARITY.
The Revd. T. B. Dickins, Vicar of All Saints, Emscote, by declaration of trust dated 1912 gave investments of over £123 in memory of Miss Philips, to be applied by the Vicar of All Saints and the vicar's warden in pensions for poor widows of the parish. (fn. 140)
DAVID PRICE'S CHARITY.
By deed poll dated 1626 David Price gave two messuages in Castle Street in trust, the rents to be applied annually in distributions to the most needy people in the borough. From 1822 the income of £30 was given in shares of £1 or more to poor in the parish of St. Mary. (fn. 141) By 1872-4 the income of the charity seems to have fallen, but information was said to be imperfect. (fn. 142) By a Scheme of 1916 the charity became one of the Warwick United Charities; £5 of its income then became payable annually to the Warneford Hospital, and the rest was given in doles. In 1953 the rent of the properties in Castle Street amounted to over £79. In 1956 the charity was reconstituted as one of the United Charities of Richard Griffin and others. (fn. 143)
SIR THOMAS PUCKERING'S CHARITY.
By indenture dated 1633 Sir Thomas Puckering gave in trust a messuage in Wallditch and two messuages in Rother Cheaping for the erection of three houses on each site for six tradesmen to be nominated by himself and his heirs. Each tradesman was to hold a house by lease for 21 years, during which time he was required to have three apprentices to be nominated by the founder and his heirs. Such arrangements were subsequently found to be unsatisfactory as the tenants were usually poor, often failed to find work for their apprentices, and allowed the properties to fall into decay. Sir Henry Puckering therefore arranged to lease the houses to the highest bidders, and with the proceeds to apprentice boys with other tradesmen. Up to 1786 children of both parishes were apprenticed by the charity, but between 1789 and 1809 only two were in receipt of such payments, and money was therefore distributed to the poor. In 1809 £79 was given in this way, and this practice continued until 1824, when apprentices were again financed.
In 1789 the houses in Wallditch (then Bridewell Lane) were exchanged for land known as Sales Close in Budbrooke. By 1826 the other property in Brook Street was divided into four houses, one in the hands of the parish of St. Mary as a home for two paupers. (fn. 144) In 1872-4 the income from rents and investments was over £35, and was used for apprenticing. (fn. 145) In 1881 the so-called 'almshouses' in Brook Street were sold and the proceeds invested. (fn. 146) In 1928 the Budbrooke property was sold, and two years later the income of the charity was consolidated when it became part of the Warwick Apprenticing Charities, since 1952 administered by the Ministry of Education. (fn. 147)
NICHOLAS ROTHWELL'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1729 Nicholas Rothwell gave land in Friar Meadow to provide bread and meat annually to be distributed at the discretion of trustees. In 1826 the rent from the property known as Bread and Meat Close was £14 14s. and distributions were made every two years. (fn. 148) By 1872-4 the income of £20 was used to provide bread only. (fn. 149) This had increased to £24 by 1889. (fn. 150) The charity was regulated in 1908 when it was administered by the trustees of the United Charities. In 1956 it became part of the United Charities of Richard Griffin and others, when the income from its property, then used as gardens, was £28. (fn. 151)
According to a benefaction table in St. Mary's Church, £50 was given to the poor of the Saltisford which was later reduced to £19 in the hands of the wardmen. An annual sum of 16s. was also said to be paid to the poor of the Saltisford out of Ward's Close. Both charities were considered lost in 1826. (fn. 152)
SCHOOL OF INDUSTRY CHARITY.
In 1882 a house in Castle Street was sold, on the closure of the School of Industry, and the income was invested to provide for the maintenance of an orphan girl at St. Peter's School, Isle of Thanet. The orphan was to be chosen by the mayor and the incumbents of the four town parishes. (fn. 153)
BARON SMITH'S CHARITY.
By indenture dated 1704 John Smith, a Baron of the Exchequer, gave £100 to the corporation to provide an income of £5 each year to apprentice a boy from St. Mary's parish on the nomination of the Vicar and churchwardens of St. Mary's. On the successful completion of each apprenticeship a further £5 was to be given. The money was absorbed in King Henry VIII's Estate after the sequestration of corporation funds in 1736. (fn. 154) It is now nominally part of the Municipal Charities. (fn. 155)
JOHN SMITH'S CHARITIES.
The Revd. John Smith by will dated 1624 recited two deeds of feoffment establishing a bread and a clothing charity, and an indenture of 1694 reveals the prior establishment of a shoe charity. Eaves Meadow in Knowle, producing a rent of £5 6s. 8d., was to be used to provide bread weekly, to be shared equally between the parishes of St. Mary and St. Nicholas. In 1825 the sum provided for each parish for bread was £10 19s. 3d. (fn. 156) In 1880 two shares of the income were applied to St. Mary's parish and one share each to the parishes of St. Nicholas and All Saints. The income is now (1965) divided equally between all four town parishes. (fn. 157)
Smith also gave an annual rent charge of £11 from land in Knowle to provide gowns for ten poor men of St. Mary's parish. By 1826 the money was received by the mayor, and he and each alderman nominated one recipient, making a total of thirteen, the mayor paying any surplus. (fn. 158) The charity is now administered as part of the Municipal Charities. (fn. 159)
A messuage in Smith Street known as the Welsh Harp was given by Smith to provide poor children of the two parishes with shoes at Christmas. Until 1809 the income was augmented from Mary Jeacocks's Charity. In 1825 the charity was administered by the respective vicars and churchwardens, and was used to supply shoes for poor men and women as well as children. (fn. 160) In 1872-4 the income amounted to £25, (fn. 161) but the property was sold in 1878. (fn. 162) Like the bread charity this was shared under the Scheme of 1880 and they are administered together. (fn. 163)
ST. EDITH'S HOSTEL, ESCMOTE.
The hostel was founded in 1868 as a home of rest for twelve poor women by Miss Marianne Philips. The home was to be under a superintendent and a matron, and the women were to be nominated by trustees always including the Vicar of All Saints. (fn. 164)
ST. MARY'S ALMSHOUSE CHARITY.
By a Scheme of 1956 the almshouses in St. Mary's parish comprising St. Mary's Poor Houses, Westgate, Upper Saltisford, and Yardley's Almshouses became a joint charity under the trustees of the United Charities. (fn. 165)
ST. MARY'S POOR HOUSES (UPPER SALTISFORD ALMSHOUSES).
Two barns in Rosemary Lane were converted into almshouses for 28 poor women by the corporation after the fire of 1694. (fn. 166) In order to extend the castle grounds after 1786 the Earl of Warwick demolished the property and gave in exchange some land in the Saltisford where he built ten almshouses. Some time later the churchwardens and overseers of St. Mary's built a further twelve houses on the site incorporating two of the earlier ones. In 1820 a further five were added. These houses were let at low rentals, the income augmenting the poor rate. (fn. 167) The whole property was maintained by the churchwardens and overseers. In 1909, eighteen of the houses were said to be dilapidated, and money for their repair was raised by the sale of Yardley's Almshouses. The joint charity became part of St. Mary's Almshouse Charity under a Scheme of 1956. (fn. 168)
'ST. PETER'S ALMSHOUSES'.
Almshouses described as 'near St. Peter's Chapel', and distinct from Eyffler's Almshouses, were included in a list of charitable institutions in the town in about 1611. Eight poor women each received board and 1s. every quarter. (fn. 169)
John and Joan Stanton are said to have given £50 to the Vicar and churchwardens of St. Mary's parish, the interest of which was to provide gowns for the poor of West Street ward. (fn. 170)
JOHN TOLLOOS'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1548 John Tolloos, alderman of London, devised his property in Warwick in trust to pay the profits to the poor at the discretion of the trustees. By the middle of the 18th century the property of the charity comprised land at Myton and houses in Bridge End, the latter being exchanged in 1761 for land in Barford. In 1826 the income was £42 10s. still distributed by the trustees at their discretion. (fn. 171) By 1854 these individual gifts varied between 2s. 6d. and 10s. (fn. 172) By 1872-4 gross income from property and investments was £65 3s. 6d. (fn. 173) From 1907 the charity was jointly administered with those of Ann Johnson and Richard Griffin; in 1956 they became the United Charities of Griffin and others. (fn. 174)
JANE TOMKYS'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1729 Jane Tomkys devised land in Prior's Hardwick to the Vicar of Budbrooke and the churchwardens and overseers of St. Mary's contingent upon the deaths of certain individuals. In the first seven years four poor boys of the borough were to be apprenticed, after which each was to be given £5 on successful completion of his training over the following seven years. The pattern was then to be repeated. The residue of the estate was to be applied by her executors for charitable purposes within the borough. The apprenticing charity does not seem to have taken effect, but income from both bequests, in mortgages and securities, was transferred to trustees in 1746. From that year income was used for schooling and apprenticing and the residue for the poor in sums varying between 2s. and 2 gns. In 1825 over £94 was distributed in this way. (fn. 175) The charity was regulated in 1885 and in 1898 was transferred to the King's School Foundation. (fn. 176)
MRS. TURVILLE'S CHARITY.
In 1658 Mrs. Turville gave an annual rent charge of £2 from her estate in Byfield (Northants.), to provide cloth for two poor men and six poor women of St. Mary's parish, and two poor men and two poor women of St. Nicholas' parish. The residue was to be distributed to twelve poor prisoners. In 1825 the rent was thirteen years in arrear but was paid later in that year. (fn. 177) By 1851 the rent was again in arrear, and the tenant refused to accept further liability, though he paid rent for the previous six years. This money was distributed in clothing, two-thirds to St. Mary's parish, one-third to St. Nicholas's parish. (fn. 178) Liability to pay was denied in 1872-4. (fn. 179)
Mrs. Turville also gave £55 in trust to the corporation in 1667 to pay £3 7s. 2d. yearly to the churchwardens of St. Mary's for linen for the poor. Accounts between 1692 and 1736 show payments for shifts, linen cloth, and hemp cloth. Payments ceased after the sequestration of the corporation estate in 1736. (fn. 180)
UNITED CHARITIES OF ALL SAINTS PARISH:
see the charities of T. B. Dickins, Catherine Holmes, Marianne Philips, and St. Edith's Hostel, Emscote.
UNITED CHARITIES OF GRIFFIN AND OTHERS (1956),
(In 1907 the United Charities of Ann Johnson, Richard Griffin and John Tolloos): see the charities of Sir Thomas Delves, Richard Griffin, Ann Johnson, David Price, Nicholas Rothwell, and John Tolloos.
UPPER SALTISFORD ALMSHOUSES: see ST. MARY'S POOR HOUSES.
RICHARD VENNOR'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1712 Richard Vennor gave a rent charge on land at Wellesbourne to provide, inter alia, 10s. for the poor of the borough. The income was paid to the corporation until some date before 1836 since when the charity has been amalgamated with the Municipal Charities. (fn. 181)
WILLIAM VYNER'S CHARITY.
By deed poll dated 1635 William Vyner gave an annuity of £6 out of land at Eathorpe to the corporation and other trustees to pay £4 to the schoolmaster of the grammar school and £2 to the usher. In 1826 the whole sum was paid to the schoolmaster. (fn. 182) In 1898 the income was transferred to the King's School Foundation. (fn. 183)
EARL OF WARWICK'S ALMSHOUSES.
In 1590 there were six cottages and four gardens providing homes for twelve persons in Gaolhall Lane, formerly maintained by Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick. (fn. 184) These were still in existence about 1611. (fn. 185)
WARWICK APPRENTICING CHARITIES (1930):
see the charities of Sir Thomas Delves, John Hadley, Richard Lane, Sir Thomas Puckering, and George Webb.
WARWICK COMBINED CHARITIES (1913):
see the charities of Catherine Burton, Martha Holliock, and Owen, Wilson and Furnis.
WARWICK MUNICIPAL CHARITIES (1891):
see the charities of Nicholas Eyffler, King Henry VIII's Estate, the Revd. John Smith (for clothing), and Sir Thomas White.
FULKE WEALE'S CHARITY.
By will dated 1729 Fulke Weale left property in Hog Hill, High Street, and Linen Lane after life interests to his heir, George, charged with an annual rent of £2 to clothe two poor boys of St. Mary's parish and to pay for their schooling, as he had done hitherto. In 1825 two boys were supported at the school in St. Peter's Chapel over the East Gate, 16s. each being spent on their schooling and 4s. on clothes. (fn. 186) The charity, administered by the Vicar and churchwardens of St. Mary's, was included in the King's School Foundation in 1875. (fn. 187)
GEORGE WEBB'S CHARITY.
Dean's Pool Meadow was given to the vicars and churchwardens of the two parishes in Warwick by the will of George Webb dated 1722. Subject to a life interest, the income was to be used to place poor boys as apprentices. For the first three years boys from St. Mary's parish were to be chosen, for the next two, boys from St. Nicholas's parish, and in the next one a boy from Maxstoke. In the seventh year a boy from each was to be apprenticed. At the end of each successful apprenticeship each boy received the sum of £5 or £7. In 1747 the income of the charity was £10; this was increased by exchange of property in 1803 to £13. (fn. 188) By 1872-4 the income was £60. (fn. 189) In 1930 the charity was consolidated with others to form the Warwick Apprenticing Charities, since 1952 administered by the Ministry of Education. (fn. 190)
The Guild of Warwick included among its charitable work the support of eight poor women, (fn. 191) who were said to have been housed in part of the guild buildings. (fn. 192) It is not clear how these almswomen were maintained after the guild's dissolution, but by 1582 they were receiving parish relief. (fn. 193) In the next century the Priory estate provided a quarterly payment of 34s. 8d. and a clothing allowance, administered by the bailiff of Warwick and the Vicar of St. Mary's. (fn. 194) By 1826 eight widows lived in four houses and received 13d. quarterly. (fn. 195) After the death of Mr. Henry Wise, owner of the Woodcote estate, in 1883 no new inmates were appointed, but three years later seven women were still in residence, two receiving 2s. 6d. a quarter and five 13d. In 1888 the Misses Louisa and Julia Harris financed the demolition of the almshouses and erected the four which now stand by the West Gate. (fn. 196)
One of these ladies, then Mrs. Trollope, by will proved in 1904, devised £1,000 to the almshouse trustees to be invested to provide 2s. each week to each of the four inmates. In 1956 the whole income, comprising a rent charge of £1 14s. 8d. on the Woodcote estate and the Trollope legacy, became part of the St. Mary's Almshouse Charity. (fn. 197)
THOMAS WHEATLEY'S CHARITY.
By indenture dated 1563 Thomas Wheatley, alderman of Coventry, charged his estate in Little Packington and Coventry, inter alia, with the sum of 10s. to be paid to each of four poor men of Warwick. (fn. 198) Four poor tradesmen of the town still received these sums in 1826, (fn. 199) and 1874. (fn. 200) Between 1836 and 1875 the charity was administered with the Municipal Charities, but since then it has formed part of the King's School Foundation. (fn. 201)
SIR THOMAS WHITE'S CHARITY.
By indenture dated 1552 the estate bought by Coventry corporation with money given by Sir Thomas White, was charged to provide Warwick, Coventry, Nottingham, Leicester, and Northampton with £40 successively each year to be given by the corporations of each town in loans. These were to provide young men with capital for nine years, free of interest, to set them up in business. In 1723 these loans were increased to £50, and in 1820 to £100, Warwick receiving money to be distributed in such quantities every fifth year. (fn. 202) In 1825 the actual sum received was about £115. In 1826 there were 48 loans of £50 and 64 of £100 outstanding. (fn. 203) By 1872-4 the income was said to be over £2,000. (fn. 204) From 1875 £360 of this income was paid to the King's School Foundation every five years. Under the Scheme of 1882 the whole income was paid into the same fund. (fn. 205)
WILLIAM WILLINGTON'S CHARITY.
William Willington of Barcheston gave £80 to the corporation on loan in 1549-50 to be administered by the burgesses for the benefit of poor tradesmen. (fn. 206) Willington died in 1559 leaving the sum in the hands of the corporation. (fn. 207) In 1579 the burgesses were criticised for not lending the sum as the donor had requested, but it was proved that the money was out under bond as required. (fn. 208) The charity was still in existence in 1704 when abstracts of accounts were produced up to 1658. Bonds have survived covering the period up to 1663. (fn. 209)
JOHN YARDLEY'S ALMSHOUSES.
At some date before 1712 John Yardley gave to the churchwardens of St. Mary's a house in the Saltisford for four poor women. By 1788 three of the four tenements into which the property was then divided were occupied, the profits being distributed to the poor of the parish. By 1825 the houses were occupied by four poor families supported by the poor rate. (fn. 210) This practice continued until about 1890, (fn. 211) when the property, known as No. 46 Saltisford, and used as a bakehouse, was let, the income of £29 being paid for the repair of St. Mary's Poor Houses. The property was sold in 1910 and the money invested. (fn. 212) Since 1955 the income has formed part of St. Mary's Almshouse Charity.