A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
24. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARGARET, BRADFORD-ON-AVON
Protection with clause rogamus was granted to the brethren and sisters of the lepers' hospital of St. Margaret, Bradford, in 1235. (fn. 1) A hospital of that name at Bradford was mentioned in 1458-9, and in 1490 Henry Long of Wraxall left 6s. 8d. to the poor of the house. (fn. 2) It may have been St. Margaret's which Leland described as a hospital of royal foundation standing at the end of a little street beyond Bradford bridge. (fn. 3) Canon Jackson identified this hospital noticed by Leland as the Old Poor House formerly situated beyond the railway line on the Trowbridge road but bought and demolished by the Great Western Railway Company about 1848. (fn. 4)