A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
30. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY MAGDALENE, MALMESBURY
This hospital is mentioned in an undated charter commemorating the deeds of Walter Loring, Abbot of Malmesbury (1208-22). (fn. 1) During Walter's abbacy a 'monk's corrody' had been granted in perpetuity to the infirm brethren of the hospital. (fn. 2) The lepers of Malmesbury, possibly the inmates of this hospital, were granted protection with clause rogamus in 1235. (fn. 3) In 1281 the chaplain of the hospital was in receipt of a quarterly pittance of 16s. 8d. for broth granted by the Abbot and Convent of Malmesbury. (fn. 4) Late in the 13th century 10d. a year was paid by the hospital to the town for the tenement of Juliana Sewaker. (fn. 5)
John London, clerk of the king's chapel, was appointed to the hospital of St. Mary Magdalene, Burton (Malmesbury), in 1439. (fn. 6) He was an executor of the will of Edward, Duke of York, who fell at Agincourt, (fn. 7) and for four years he had drawn a pension from Abingdon Abbey. (fn. 8) His appointment was apparently contested by the Abbot of Malmesbury, whom he sued in Chancery. London maintained that the house belonged to the king's ancestors of the Earldom of Hereford, and that the patronage had passed to the Duchy of Lancaster. (fn. 9)
No later record of this hospital seems to exist. It lay south of Malmesbury on the hill leading to Burton. (fn. 10) Burton Hill Chapel, a small medieval building on the east side of the Chippenham road, was pulled down about 1860. (fn. 11)