A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Ceadresleage (ix cent.); Cedeslaeh, Cedeslai (xi cent.); Cheddesleg (xii and xiii cent.); Chedeslea, Claydesle (xiii cent.); Chaddeslegh Corbett (xiv cent.).
Chaddesley Corbett is a large parish covering 6,079 acres, of which 3,065¼ are arable land, 2,247¼ pasture and 242¾ woodland. (fn. 1) The Elmley or Doverdale Brook, which rises in Belbroughton, flows through the south of the parish, forming part of the southern boundary. Barnett Brook, which also rises in Belbroughton and joins the Stour near Kidderminster, waters the northern part of Chaddesley Corbett. The principal road is the main road from Kidderminster to Bromsgrove which enters the parish near the hamlet of Mustow Green. Another road crosses it at Mustow Green and passes through Harvington to Broom. The village lies to the south of the Doverdale Brook, and consists of one street lying on a road running off the Kidderminster and Bromsgrove road to Stourbridge On either side of the street are red brick and timber and brick houses and cottages of various dates. The church stands on the west side at the south end of the village. In the churchyard are the steps and base of a mediaeval cross, the shaft and head of which were erected in 1903. Opposite the church is the Talbot Inn, a well-preserved timber and brick house on a base of sandstone built about 1600. It has two porches approached by steps. A short distance further south is Brockencote Hall, situated in extensive grounds to which the Doverdale Brook forms the eastern boundary. Standing on the north side of the Bromsgrove road to the south-west of the church is the Lodge, the residence of Mr. James Meredith. Most of the house was rebuilt early in the last century, though the north-west corner dates from early in the 17th century. The walls of this part of the house are of half-timber and brick construction, considerably modernized when the 19th-century alterations were made. To the north-west of the house is a large half-timber barn. It is L-shaped in plan, and was no doubt erected when the original house was built. West of the church to the north of the Bromsgrove road are the almshouses, built in 1637.
The hamlet of Harvington is rather more than a mile north-west of the village. Harvington Hall, formerly the seat of the Yates, Pakingtons, and Throckmortons, is approached by a small by-road running north off the main road from Kidderminster to Bromsgrove, and is built at the south-east corner of the area inclosed by the surrounding moat. This moat has been in places partly filled in, and, though comparatively narrow on the south and east, it is much wider on the west, while on the north it stretches away in a large sheet of water, now divided into two by the road. The Hall itself is in a very dilapidated condition, and much of the older part— though still roofed and retaining all its floors—is in a ruinous state and overgrown with ivy. The general plan of the buildings takes the form of the letter L, the east block being built along the side of the moat, the south some few yards back from the water's edge.
The latter is the original building, and is late Elizabethan. About the middle of the 17th century from the east end of this block a low wing was thrown out on the north, while early in the following century a tall three-story building was erected at the end of this addition. The later buildings, with a part of the original block, have been divided up into tenements, but the rest of the house is quite uninhabitable. The interior has been stripped of its panelling, and the fine oak staircase is now at Coughton Court, Warwickshire.
The Elizabethan building is three stories high with attics in the roof. It is built of red brick with red sandstone quoins, dressings and plinth. The walls are generally carried up in pointed gables, and the tiled roofs are of a fairly high pitch. The original windows throughout were mullioned with the larger ones subdivided by transoms. On plan it is an irregular H, and the principal rooms appear to have been on the first floor. Two interesting features of the building are the hiding-places and the number of entrances or exits. One of these is in the middle of the south front, one on the west, and one in each of the side walls of the projecting wings on the north; these last two entrances face each other. The main staircase was in the north-west corner of the house, and a second, built round a central newel, is in the south-east corner of the central block. There is a third staircase in the east wing. The whole of the ground floor was probably given up to the domestic offices, the kitchen occupying the east wing.
The principal room on the first floor was the hall, a large T-shaped apartment extending over the whole of the central block and lighted by large transomed and mullioned windows from both the north and south. It was entered on the west, directly off the principal staircase, while another doorway in the south wall gave access to the central newelled stair. Opposite this doorway high up in the north wall is one of the hiding holes, now exposed to view through the dismantling of the building. The fireplace is in the centre of the south wall. A small room on the south side of the principal staircase gives access to a large hiding-place, situated above an adjoining passage.
In the 17th-century extension the same materials have been used as in the original building, though the mullioned windows here are of oak. At the north end of this wing is a large square-headed entrance to the courtyard in the angle of the two blocks. The wing contains two principal apartments, one above the other, the upper being ceiled with a segmental barrel vault of plaster. On the north side is a hiding hole, now blocked up, and at the same end is a tall brick chimney stack of an ornamental design. The 18th-century addition is built of the same materials as the older portions and is rectangular on plan.
The malt-house stands at the south-west corner of the site and is contemporary with the Elizabethan building. It is two stories high, the lower one being built of red sandstone and the upper of half-timber, much of the brick filling in being laid diagonally. The roof is tiled and the floor of the upper story is plastered.
Another outbuilding, now used as a school, stands to the north of the malt-house, but this is an 18thcentury erection. Quite close to the house is a Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Mary, built by Sir George Throckmorton in 1825. (fn. 2) Near the chapel is a memorial crucifix to Father Wall, who officiated at Harvington in the 17th century, and was executed at Worcester in 1679. Many of the inhabitants of Chaddesley Corbett during the 16th and 17th centuries were presented for recusancy, among them being Humphrey Pakington. (fn. 3) A Roman Catholic congregation flourished at Harvington in the early 18th century. Father Charles Dodd, author of English Church History, succeeded in 1726 to this cure, and during his residence at Harvington finished his great work. He was buried in 1742–3 at Chaddesley Corbett. (fn. 4)
Winterfold, which has for some years been the seat of the Harwards, (fn. 5) is a red brick mansion standing in a wellwooded deer park.
Chaddesley Corbett once formed part of the forest of Piperode, which was later absorbed in Feckenham Forest.
The land is undulating, varying in height from about 180 ft. above the ordnance datum in the south near Doverdale Brook to 400 ft. in the north. The soil is loamy and the subsoil red sandstone, raising good crops of wheat, barley, beans, oats and potatoes. Agriculture is the chief industry, but the steam saw and cornmills of William Seager, Ltd., at Cakebole and the scythe works of Isaac Nash at Drayton give employment to some of the inhabitants.
Noake writing in 1868 states that the parish wake at Whitsuntide was then still held. (fn. 6) Among the placenames are:—Clatcote, Berehull, Taggeburne, (fn. 7) Derewalle, Monkeswall, Wallersrudyng, Truggesrudyng, Grimbaldesmede (fn. 8) and Fresefield. (fn. 9) The name of the hamlet of Drayton occurs as early as the 13th century, (fn. 10) while Woodrow (Woderowe) and Cakebole (Cakeball, Cakbawle) are mentioned in the 15th and 16th centuries (fn. 11) and Brockencote in the 16th century. (fn. 12)
In 816 King Coenwulf of Mercia exempted twenty-five 'manentes' at 'Ceadres leage' from various royal services. (fn. 13) The land at that date evidently belonged to the Bishop or church of Worcester. Heming, in his chartulary of the possessions of Worcester Priory, states that CHADDESLEY was taken away from that church by Earl Leofric, but that his wife Godiva restored it to the priory after his death. Shortly afterwards it was again seized by Edwin and Morcar, but 'to their swift confusion,' the former being murdered and the latter dying in captivity, (fn. 14) when their lands, including Chaddesley, passed to the Crown. (fn. 15) The overlordship of Chaddesley Corbett was apparently granted by William I or William II to Robert Fitz Hamon, (fn. 16) whose eldest daughter Mabel married Robert Earl of Gloucester, natural son of Henry I. (fn. 17) William Earl of Gloucester, son of Robert, died in 1183, leaving three daughters and co-heirs, Mabel wife of the Count of Evreux in Normandy, Amice wife of Richard de Clare Earl of Hertford, and Isabel divorced wife of King John, and afterwards wife of Geoffrey de Mandeville Earl of Essex. (fn. 18) The overlordship eventually passed to Gilbert de Clare Earl of Hertford, son of Amice, who became Earl of Gloucester, and it descended with the earldom of Gloucester till the death of Gilbert de Clare in 1314, (fn. 19) when the fee at Chaddesley Corbett was assigned to his widow Maud, daughter of the Earl of Ulster. (fn. 20) After her death it probably passed to Eleanor wife of Hugh le Despenser, jun., eldest sister of Gilbert de Clare, as the manor was said in 1323–4 to be held of Hugh le Despenser, jun., as of the honour of Gloucester. (fn. 21) Hugh was executed in 1326, and the fee seems then to have passed to Margaret, second sister and co-heir of Gilbert de Clare, and her second husband Hugh Audley, who was created Earl of Gloucester in 1336–7, (fn. 22) as at the time of Hugh's death in 1347 he was said to be holding this fee at Chaddesley. (fn. 23) He left no male issue, and the fee was evidently restored to Hugh le Despenser, son of Hugh and Eleanor mentioned above, for he was holding it at the time of his death in 1348–9, (fn. 24) and it was assigned as dower to his widow Elizabeth. (fn. 25) It passed on her death in 1359 (fn. 26) to Edward le Despenser, nephew of Hugh, who died seised of it in 1375, leaving a son Thomas, his heir. (fn. 27) Elizabeth Lady le Despenser, widow of Edward, appears to have had some interest in this fee, for in 1394 she allowed William de Beauchamp to grant the church of Chaddesley to the college of Warwick. (fn. 28) The agreement of her son Thomas was also obtained. (fn. 29) It is difficult to account for the fact that before this date the fee had passed to Thomas Earl of Stafford, great-grandson of Hugh Audley and Margaret de Clare, (fn. 30) for at the time of his death in 1392 he was said to be holding a fee at Chaddesley. (fn. 31) His widow Anne by special dispensation of the pope married her late husband's brother Edmund, (fn. 32) and was holding this fee as dower at the time of Edmund's death in 1403. (fn. 33) She died in 1438, (fn. 34) but before that time her right in the fee at Chaddesley seems to have lapsed. After 1403 no connected descent of the overlordship can be traced. In 1410–11 the manor was said to be held of Richard Earl of Warwick for a rent of a rose, (fn. 35) and in 1435–6 of the Prior of Little Malvern. (fn. 36) It was stated in 1439 and in 1446 that it was not held of the king in chief, but neither the lord nor the service due for it was known. (fn. 37) In 1487–8 it was held of the king as of the earldom of March, (fn. 38) in 1492–3 of the king in chief for service unknown, (fn. 39) and in 1505 of the king as of the manor of Elmley. (fn. 40)
Before the Conquest 'a certain woman' Eadgifu held Chaddesley, and was still holding it in 1086. (fn. 41) At that time it seems to have been a place of considerable importance, having eight berewicks attached to it, and consisting of 25 hides, of which 10 were free from geld, the value of the whole being £12. (fn. 42) The manor passed in the 12th century to Robert son of Payn, who was succeeded by his son and grandson, both named Richard Folliott. (fn. 43) By the latter's daughter Hawise, who married firstly Robert son of Richard, and secondly, before 1199, Roger Corbett, (fn. 44) the manor came to the Corbett family. William Corbett appears to have been in possession of the manor in 1235, as at that date an agreement was made between him and the Abbot of Tewkesbury as to a rent and tenement which the abbot's men held in the manor of Chaddesley. (fn. 45) He still held it in 1261–2, (fn. 46) but had been succeeded before 1266 by Robert Corbett. (fn. 47) This Robert died without issue about 1270, and the manor passed to his nephew William, son of William Corbett. (fn. 48) On his death about 1282–3 (fn. 49) a third of the manor was assigned to his widow Ada. (fn. 50) She outlived her son Roger, who died in 1289–90, (fn. 51) and on her death about 1290–1 the whole manor passed to her grandson William Corbett. (fn. 52)
The inquisition taken in 1290 after the death of Roger Corbett gives a good idea of the value and extent of the manor. It contained a capital messuage worth 10s., four vineyards worth 26s. 8d., and two water-mills worth 26s. 8d. 'if they are kept in repair'; the tenant of each virgate of land ought among other services 'to do average to the bridge of Tewksbury' twice a year, 'to get the lord's cloth within the county,' and to give the lord two hens at Christmas worth 2d. in return for which he gave them 'reasonable furze and dead wood'; twelve cotarii each paid yearly 11s. 6d. and 'ought to do lesser service to mend the lady's linen.' (fn. 53)
William Corbett, son and heir of Roger, appears to have lived to a great age. In 1304 he obtained a grant of free warren at Chaddesley Corbett. (fn. 54) He had been knighted before 1314–15, (fn. 55) and appears to have been implicated in the rebellion against the Despensers, for in 1322 his estates were seized. (fn. 56) In 1328–9 he made three separate grants of rents of £200 annually from his manor of Chaddesley Corbett. (fn. 57) In 1330 he complained of Roger de Mortimer Earl of March and John Wyard, (fn. 58) who enticed him to Berkeley, where they detained him for four days, took away his seal, and forced him to make a recognizance to John Wyard for 1,350 marks. (fn. 59) In 1340 William Corbett's conduct to his wife drew down episcopal censure and he was ordered to amend under penalty of £40. (fn. 60) He was appointed in 1340 one of the commissioners in Worcester to value the king's ninths. (fn. 61) In 1351, when he was said to be an octogenarian, he was exempted for life from public services. (fn. 62) Four years later, however, William Corbett of Chaddesley is mentioned as a justice of the peace, (fn. 63) and in 1358–9 he settled the manor on himself for life with reversion to Thomas de Beauchamp Earl of Warwick. (fn. 64)
The latter settled this property, described as a fee in Chaddesley Corbett, and the advowson of the church in tail-male upon his younger son William Lord Bergavenny and his wife Joan, with contingent remainder to himself. (fn. 65) William died in 1411, (fn. 66) and the manor was held by his wife Joan until her death in 1435. (fn. 67) As her only son Richard had died without male issue in 1422, the manor reverted to Richard Earl of Warwick, grandson and heir male of Thomas Earl of Warwick mentioned above. (fn. 68) The manor then descended in the same way as Elmley Castle (q.v.) to George Duke of Clarence and his wife Isabel Nevill. (fn. 69)
Isabel died in 1476 and the duke in 1477–8, (fn. 70) when the manor passed into the hands of the king on account of the minority of their son Edward. (fn. 71) It apparently remained in the king's hands until about 1481, (fn. 72) and it was probably at about this time that the heirs of Henry Duke of Warwick—namely, the descendants of his sister Anne and of his halfsisters Margaret and Elizabeth—claimed the manor under a settlement made by Richard father of Henry. (fn. 73) These co-heirs were Anne wife of Richard Duke of Gloucester (afterwards Richard III), Edward son of George Duke of Clarence, Elizabeth wife of Edward Grey Lord Lisle, and Elizabeth Lady Latimer. The manor of Chaddesley seems to have been assigned to Elizabeth Lady Lisle, for she died seised of it in September 1487. (fn. 74) It is difficult to explain the fact that in December of the same year Anne Countess of Warwick, having obtained an Act of Parliament for her restoration to the Beauchampestates, (fn. 75) conveyed the manor, together with nearly all her other recovered property, to Henry VII, (fn. 76) for the ownership certainly remained with the Greys. Edward Viscount Lisle held the manor by courtesy until his death in 1492, when it passed to his son John, (fn. 77) who died in 1504. A daughter Elizabeth was born shortly after his death, (fn. 78) but she died without issue in 1519, (fn. 79) and the manor passed to her aunt Elizabeth, then wife of Arthur Plantagenet, (fn. 80) who was created Viscount Lisle in 1523. (fn. 81) In 1522 and 1528–9 the manor was settled upon Arthur Viscount Lisle for life, with reversion to John Dudley son of Elizabeth by her first husband Edmund Dudley. (fn. 82) Sir Arthur and John leased the manor for forty years in 1527 to John Pakington, (fn. 83) but in 1529 John Pakington and Lord Lisle released their claims in the manor to Sir John Dudley, (fn. 84) who in the same year sold it to John Pakington, at first retaining a yearly rent of £40, but later compounding for it. (fn. 85)
As he had no children Sir John settled the manor in 1538 on John son of his brother Humphery in tail-male. (fn. 86) Humphery, who succeeded his father John in 1578, (fn. 87) died without male issue in 1631, (fn. 88) leaving the manor to his eldest daughter Mary wife of Sir John Yate. She, being a staunch Roman Catholic, was prohibited in 1680 from leaving England, which she desired to do on account of her health. At length she was permitted by special leave of the Secretary of State—on condition that she left within fourteen days—'to imbarque with her trunks of Apparel and other necessaries not prohibited at any port of this kingdom.' (fn. 89)
She was succeeded in 1696 by her granddaughter and heir, Mary wife of Sir Robert Throckmorton, (fn. 90) whose descendant Sir Nicholas William George Throckmorton, bart., is now lord of the manor, (fn. 91) and until recently held most of the land in the parish.
The Court Rolls from the time of Henry IV and other deeds relating to the manor are in the possession of Sir N. W. G. Throckmorton, bart., at Coughton Court, Warwick. (fn. 92)
Three mills rendering twelve horseloads of grain belonged to Eadgifu, lady of the manor, at the time of the Domesday Survey. (fn. 96) In 1290 Roger Corbett held only two mills, (fn. 97) but another mill possibly belonged to his mother Ada Corbett, who had one third of the manor in dower. (fn. 98) Humphery Pakington had three mills near Barnettbrook in Chaddesley and Moorhall Bell in 1604, (fn. 99) and 'certain mills' in Chaddesley belonged to Lady Mary Yate in 1675 (fn. 100) and to Sir Robert Thockmorton in 1747. (fn. 101) These probably survive in Lower Bellington, Bellington and Barnett mills, the first of which is now disused. A mill called 'Sythemill' belonged to the manor in 1481, (fn. 102) and a mill at Drayton is still used for scythe grinding.
In 1544 a water-mill called Walke Mill or Heth Mill in Chaddesley, with land called Mawtes Furlong in Chaddesley in the lordship of Dunclent, and Spelley Hull in Chaddesley in the lordship of Stone, was granted to John Maynard and William Breton, (fn. 103) who sold it in the same year to Thomas Vaughan of St. Albans. (fn. 104)
It is not known of whom the reputed manor of HARVINGTON (Herewynton, Herwinton, xiii cent.; Hervyngton, xv cent.) was held in early times, but from 1410–11, when the overlordship is first mentioned, until the manorial rights of Harvington lapsed it was identical with that of Chaddesley Corbett. (fn. 105)
John de Harvington held land at Harvington in 1280. (fn. 106) Adam son of William de Harvington, (fn. 107) probably a descendant, held the manor in the middle of the 14th century. He was a clerk in holy orders, and became chancellor of the Exchequer in 1327. (fn. 108) He had been appointed chancellor of the Exchequer at Dublin in 1326. In 1342 he conveyed the reversion of the manor after his death to Thomas Beauchamp Earl of Warwick. (fn. 109) The earl apparently afterwards sold or leased the manor to Richard de Stonleye, for in 1346 Richard released to the earl all his lands in England, except his estate in the manor of Harvington. (fn. 110) The manor reverted before 1357–8 to the Earl of Warwick, for in that year he leased it at a rent of £10 a year to Edmund de Brugg and Joan his wife. (fn. 111)
From that time it followed the descent of Chaddesley Corbett Manor (fn. 112) (q.v.), but all manorial rights apparently lapsed before 1578. (fn. 113) The manor-house seems to have been the seat of the Pakingtons and of Lady Mary Yate. (fn. 114)
Humphrey Pakington of Chaddesley Corbett was confined at his mansion-house at Harvington for recusancy in 1595, and on 9 November in that year the council ordered him to be brought to London 'to th'end he may have conference with som learned devines to work him (if possibly yt may be) to som conformity.' (fn. 115)
The church of ST. CASSIAN consists of a chancel 44 ft. 2 in. by 18 ft. 11 in., modern north vestry, north chapel 31 ft. 10 in. by 15 ft. 11 in., nave about 54 ft. 6 in. by 20 ft. 3 in., north aisle of nearly the same length, 14 ft. 1 in. wide, south aisle 56 ft. 5 in. by 10 ft. 1 in., and a west tower 15 ft. by 14 ft. 10 in. These measurements are all internal.
The north arcade of the nave, which is the earliest portion of the existing building, dates from the first half of the 12th century. At this period the nave had a north aisle only, but before the close of the century an important enlargement took place. The west wall was taken down and the nave lengthened by one broad bay, and at the same time the southern arcade and aisle were added. During the following century a chapel of two bays was built on the north side of the Norman quire, and this was suffered to remain when the early chancel was replaced by the present handsome structure in the 14th century. The same century saw the rebuilding of the outer walls of both the nave aisles, only the west end of the southern being left of the 12th-century work, and the tower arch was reconstructed at the same time. Early in the 16th century the southern windows of the south aisle were inserted and in the 18th the existing tower was built.
The chancel throughout, with the exception of the arcade shafts, is of early 14th-century date, very rich in detail, the tracery of the four windows being remarkable for its elegance and variety.
The five-light east window has flowing tracery of the 14th century, and on each side is a niche with a crocketed canopy over and a foliated bracket.
In the north wall is a round-headed late 14thcentury door, opening into a modern vestry, which occupies the site of an earlier one.
In the same wall is a recess, with trefoiled ogee head and a crocketed canopy above. An arcade of two bays divides the north chapel from the chancel. The responds are formed with three engaged shafts, but the column is octagonal. Up to the capitals the work is of the 13th century, but the arches above are 14th-century work and the capitals were probably re-cut at the same period. The three plain lancet lights under a segmental rear arch, in the east wall of the chapel, date from c. 1250, and the three windows in the north wall are of similar date and description, but of two lights only. Below the east window is a moulded ledge, which probably carried a decorated beam above the chapel altar.
The arch between the chapel and the north aisle is of the same type as the chancel arcade.
In the south chancel wall are three windows, of three lights each, the heads filled with flowing and geometric tracery. The label of the centre window is stopped on carved masks, but the others have stops of foliage. Below the third can be traced the position of a 'low-side' window, which has been restored, externally, as a two-light square-headed window. Beneath the centre window is a doorway similar to that at the north-east.
The chancel arch is pointed, of two plain chamfered orders, the inner dying on to the walls, the outer continuing down as chamfered responds. The exterior is very rich in appearance. The buttresses have each two gabled offsets filled with tracery, the upper finished with crockets and finials.
The northern arcade of the nave consists of three bays, with round arches of two plain orders and a fourth and larger bay at the west end, with a similar but pointed arch. The cylindrical columns and responds of the three earlier bays have scalloped capitals slightly differing in design. The western half of the third pier, where the work of the two periods joins, has also a scalloped capital, and the west respond is similar.
The southern arcade consists of three bays, with tall pointed arches of two plain orders, similar to the western bay of the north arcade in spacing and detail of capitals.
The four windows of the north aisle are modern restorations in the style of the 14th century, and the three-light west window in the tower is likewise modern. The north doorway appears to be of the original 12th-century date. The head is semicircular, and the external jambs are shafted, the shafts having scalloped capitals.
In the south aisle the three-light windows in the south wall date from the early 16th century. The east window is modern, but at the west end is a twolight 14th-century window inserted in the earlier wall. The aisle walls were raised in the 16th century, and the earlier roof line is still visible at the west end. There are traces of a south door, now blocked. Externally there is a tomb recess with a crocketed canopy, with a buttress springing over the opening to the wall above. In the west window are some fragments of old glass.
The tower, with embattled parapet and spire, was built in the 18th century.
The chancel has a plaster barrel-ceiling with wood ribs. The nave roof is modern, but the pent over the south aisle is ancient. At the intersections of the moulded beams are roses, with carved bosses at the wall plate on the ends of the intermediate timbers. These bosses, with one exception, bear angles, some with shields and one holding a censer.
The font is of red sandstone, circular in shape, and a fine piece of 12th-century work. On the rim of the bowl is a double band of interlaced work, and below this five dragons with knotted tails. The stem has a deep band of interlaced work, and the base a double row of 'Stafford knots.'
In the chapel are two life-size effigies: a priest in mass vestments, and a late 13th-century knight in chain mail. The latter wears a mail coif, knee cops, a long surcoat, and a shield on the left arm. The feet with prick spurs rest on a dog, and a line of rosettes extends along the edge of the slab on which the effigy rests.
In the south aisle is a tomb slab of a man and his wife with a broken inscription round the edge, running: 'Thome Fforest Parcarii de Dunclent et Margaritae uxoris ejus et omnium puerorum suorum quorum . . . .' Between the words are arrows, hunting horns, leaves, &c., and at the four corners the symbols of the Evangelists.
In the north chapel is a monument in alabaster and black marble to Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Holt of Aston, bart., died 1647, with arms: Azure two bars or in chief a cross paty. Another monument commemorates Humphery Pakington (died 1631) and his wife (died 1657), with arms: Party cheveronwise sable and or with three mullets or in the chief, and three sheaves gules in the foot. A fourth monument is to Ann wife of Sir Henry Audley of Burechurch, Essex, and daughter of Humphery Pakington, died 1642.
An ancient altar slab about 5 ft. long and 13 in. thick is preserved here.
In the tower is a fragment of a 12th-century 'Majesty' in a vesica.
There is a peal of eight bells and a small ringing-in bell. The treble and second are dated 1783, and encircled with bands of ornament; the third is by Abraham Rudhall, and inscribed 'I sweetly sing when you mee ring A.R. 1701'; the fourth and fifth are also by Abraham Rudhall, and are respectively inscribed 'Wee all to ring God save the King 1701' and 'God prosper this Church and Parish 1701'; both the sixth and seventh are by C. G. Mears, 1856; and the tenor, which was originally by Abraham Rudhall, 1701, and inscribed with the names of the vicar and churchwardens and 'God save the King,' was recast by Messrs. Stainbank in 1905. The small bell is by Mears & Stainbank, 1891.
The plate consists of a chalice dated 1571 and made in the preceding year, a paten of 1724, a modern chalice, paten and cruet.
The registers previous to 1812 are as follows: (i) mixed entries 1538 to 1727 (this book is preceded by a note that the injunction for keeping registers was first read at Chaddesley Corbett 24 November 1538); (ii) baptisms and burials 1728 to 1812, marriages 1728 to 1753; (iii) marriages 1754 to 1812.
From the mention of two priests at Chaddesley Corbett in the Domesday Survey (fn. 116) it may perhaps be inferred that there was a church there in 1086. The advowson appears at first to have belonged to the lords of the manor. In 1200 the Abbot of Tewkesbury sued Roger Corbett and Hawise his wife for the right of presentation, which he claimed to have been given to one of his predecessors by Robert Fitz Hamon, and to have been confirmed to the monastery by Henry I, William Duke of Gloucester, the heir of Robert and Simon Bishop of Worcester. (fn. 117) Roger Corbett and Hawise opposed this on the ground that Robert Fitz Payn great-grandfather of Hawise, Richard Folliott the elder, her grandfather, and Richard Folliott the younger, her father, had each in turn presented to the church, and that when a dispute about the advowson arose between Robert son of Richard, her former husband, and Fromund, predecessor of the abbot, the former presented Ralph Folliott, who was admitted by the bishop. (fn. 118) The claim of the Corbett family was probably well founded, and the dispute was amicably settled by the abbot surrendering his rights in return for 4 virgates of land in 'Wadehamet' and 4 in 'Dreiton.' (fn. 119)
The advowson remained with the lords of the manor (fn. 120) until 1385, when the king granted licence to William de Beauchamp, Lord Bergavenny, to alienate it to the collegiate church of St. Mary, Warwick, which had been founded by one of his ancestors. (fn. 121) This gift was confirmed in 1397 by the king, (fn. 122) and by Sir William and his wife Joan in 1410. (fn. 123)
The dean and chapter probably appropriated the rectory of Chaddesley Corbett in 1394, and the vicarage was ordained in the same year. (fn. 124) At the Dissolution they were receiving a rent of £24 16s. 8d. from the rectory of Chaddesley. (fn. 125)
The college of Warwick was dissolved in 1544, (fn. 126) and the advowson of Chaddesley Corbett was granted in 1545 to the burgesses of Warwick. (fn. 127) They appear to have presented for the last time in 1639, (fn. 128) and the advowson has since that time been vested in the Crown. (fn. 129)
The rectory was granted with the advowson to the burgesses of Warwick, (fn. 130) who retained the rectorial tithes after parting with the advowson. (fn. 131) The great tithes are now in the hands of the Warwick Municipal Charity Trustees.
About twenty years before the dissolution of chantries a certain William Newman gave tenements in Chaddesley Corbett worth £5 3s. 8d. yearly to trustees for the maintenance of a school there. (fn. 132) Land at Chaddesley Corbett called 'Our Ladyes Lands,' given for the maintenance of a priest, obits and lights, was granted in 1562 to Cicely Pickerell. (fn. 133)
The churches of Rushock and Stone were at one time chapelries of Chaddesley Corbett. (fn. 134)
At Bluntington there is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1873, and at Drayton there is a Church mission-room.
The School and Poor's Lands are regulated by a scheme dated 29 June 1878. (fn. 135) By the scheme trustees were appointed and the following charities were merged in the foundation, namely:
Humphrey Westwood's, will, proved in the P.C.C. 1622, consisting of a rent-charge of 50s. payable out of a messuage known as the Horseshoes;
Simon Westwood's, being originally a rent-charge of 50s. issuing out of lands at Harborne, of which 18s., part thereof, was in 1895 redeemed by the transfer to the official trustees of £36 2½ per cent. annuities;
Gilbert Penn's, will, 1653, now consisting of £43 12s. 8d. consols, with the official trustees, producing £1 1s. 9d. yearly, arising from redemption in 1867 of original rent-charge of 26s.;
James Pratt's, will, proved 1828, consisting of £678 0s. 10d. consols, with the official trustees, of which one moiety (£339 0s. 5d.) belongs to the Delabere Almshouses (see below).
Out of the income of the foundation a sum of £50 a year is distributed in doles to about 120 poor people, and the balance in scholarships, technical education and prizes for the children of parishioners.
The almshouses founded by Margaret Delabere in 1637 for five poor widows are endowed with a house with 2 a. 1 r. 19 p., and 14 a. or. 35 p. of the annual rental value of £40 18s.; also with £357 5s. 9d. consols and £36 2½ per cent. annuities, producing together £9 16s. 8d. a year. The stock is held by the official trustees, and includes a sum of £339 0s. 5d. consols, being a moiety of £678 0s. 10d. consols representing a legacy by will of James Pratt, proved in the P.C.C. 29 October 1828. The other moiety is included in the property of the Endowed Schools (see above).
The inmates receive £2 each a quarter.
The almshouses founded in 1691 by Dame Mary Yate for four poor widows are endowed with six pieces of land with buildings thereon, containing 19 a. 2 r. 15 p., and a house and garden, the whole producing £35 yearly. Each inmate receives £6 per annum and £4 is spent on coal for their use.
The Dame Mary Yate Charity for apprenticing, founded by indentures of lease and release 18 and 19 August 1674, is endowed with 16 a. 2 r., seven cottages and salt works at Droitwich, producing £48 a year, and 22 a. 3 r. 13 p. at Chaddesley Corbett, let at £52 a year; also £1,647 5s. 7d. consols, with the official trustees, producing £41 3s. 8d. a year, arising in part from sale of land and in part from accumulations of income.
In 1909 the sum of £104 was expended in apprenticeship premiums.
In 1620 William Seabright by will devised an annuity of £3 0s. 8d. payable out of property in Bethnal Green to be applied in the distribution of fourteen penny loaves every Sunday to fourteen poor. The parish clerk also receives 6s. 8d. for selecting the recipients.
In 1687 John Taylor by his will gave 40s. yearly out of two fields called the Off Meadows in Stone to the poor.
In 1732 Jonathan Harrison, by his will proved at Worcester 25 March, bequeathed £5, the interest to be laid out in bread on 21 December yearly. To secure punctual payment a sum of 5s. a year was charged by the testator's son, John Harrison, upon certain property in Lower Chaddesley, and this is distributed in twenty loaves to twenty poor.
In 1817 William Wheeler, by a codicil to his will, left a legacy for the poor, now represented by £191 2s. 2d. consols with the official trustees. The annual dividends, amounting to £4 15s. 4d., are distributed among the poor in sums varying from 2s. 6d. to 10s. In 1909 there were fourteen recipients.
In 1836 Mrs. Elizabeth Pratt by her will bequeathed £700, the income on £300 to be applied for the organist, on another £300 for poor parishioners, and on £100 for singers. The legacy was invested in £754 15s. consols with the official trustees, producing £18 17s. 4d. yearly. The proportion due to the poor is applied in the distribution of coal, meat, groceries and cash.
In 1899 John Giles, by his will proved at London 28 June, gave a sum of £2 yearly to bell-ringers for ringing a muffled peal of bells annually on the date of testator's decease. A sum of £80 consols is held by the official trustees in respect of this charity.
The parish is in possession of 2 a. or. 15 p. of land of the annual letting value of £2 10s. which is applicable towards the repairs of the highways.